Towing capacity for 69 Impala convertible - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Towing capacity for 69 Impala convertible

Dear all, I'm the very proud owner of a 69 Impala convertible and living in Germany. Nearly every weekend (in summer), I 'm visiting US car meetings. Now that I want to take my son with me to the meetings, I installed a trailer hitch for a caravan. So far so good. Everything is installed and works fine. But now authorithy is asking for towing capacity of the car. The trailer hitch itself (from Curt) has gross trailer weight capacity of 5000lbs, more than enough....
Does anybody has the towing capacity for the 69 Impala convertible? In the manual it's mentioned to have more than 2000lbs..

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 03:39 PM

The B-body with a BBC under the hood and a TH400 tranny with 3.07 gears was rated at 300 pounds of tongue weight and a gross trailer weight (weight of empty trailer added to the load being towed) of 3,500 lbs. This is with a class two heavy duty 1 1/4 inch square Reese hitch that is welded to the frame and a 1-7/8th inch ball.

If you want to drag around a SkiDoo or a ATV then it will work fine. If you want to tow a race car (2,700 to 3,800 pounds) then get yourself a 3/4 ton Suburban that has a factory installed class four Reese hitch, electric trailer brake wiring at the bumper and a 500 pound tongue weight and a 10,000 pound GVW for the trailer and load. An Impala is not designed to tow SAFELY a camping trailer approaching 7,000 pounds. It can pull it just fine and even control the load at moderate speeds on flat terrain.

U-Haul can install a hitch on your Impala for around $250 bucks
https://www.uhaul.com/Trailer-Hitche...eel-Drive/?ddl

I bought a 1954 International Cab over semi truck to tow my race car and home built heavy duty ramp car trailer. I also towed a camper behind my old Suburban covering every interstate and most of the major highways in the lower 48, southern Canada from the maritime provinces to BC and Alaska. Racked up over 306,000 miles dragging that trailer around. It was little Coleman 12' foot pop up (grew to 28 foot when opened up) that weighed in at 7,600 pounds (required special 14 inch diameter wheel load range E 10 ply tires) for it's single axle.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi Big Dave, thanks for your promt reply.

Unfortunatelly I just have a 350 with the TH350 tranny.
What do you think / know is the towing capacity of that configuration? Is there anything in technical documentation available?

The caravan I´m talking about is a "lightweight" one (foldable, so very low balance point, length 3.9m, appr. 900-950kg [appr. 2000lbs], tongue weight less than 80kg [appr. 180lbs]). First test runs showed a very good behavior [attached].

Regarding the uhaul towing equipment, I tried to get one (one year ago, I recieved this hint from you also), but I failed with buying it. Furthermore there was no response to my e-mails. But I´ll try to get again in contact... Anyhow authorithy will request the towing capacity of the car itself

Thanks again....

Best regards
Sascha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181111_132952.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	22100  

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 01:04 PM

The difference in engine and transmission will show up as higher fuel bill.

The gas sucking BBC gets about 11 mpg in a car (6 mpg in my 3/4 ton suburban due to 4x4 tranny and steep gears) whether you are towing something or not. I had a 350 in the Suburban, but blew it up in North Carolina climbing a hill (turns out the rear main bearing failed taking out the oil seal and draining all of the oil). The 350 got 9 mpg in the Suburban empty, but that dropped to 4 mpg towing the trailer because the throttle was always wide open getting the vehicle combination to keep up with traffic.

Your towing Capacity is generic for all B-bodies. It is designed into the engine, brakes, and chassis design. Since your camper trailer is integral (all one piece) it's weight (dry) is what your load is. Adding things like water and food and clothes to the trailer ads weight. All things considered you should have no issues with such a light trailer in towing.

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:49 AM

Garage
You will be just fine as long as you don't load that Caravan with bunch of stuff. We used to tow that kind of Caravan with my dad's Passat when we lived in Europe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page