Few questions about replacement parts - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Few questions about replacement parts

I want to change engine and transmission mounts in my 1970 wagon. How many mounts does SBC 350 with TH350 have? Rock Auto lists two (front right and front left) for the engine and one for the TH350. Is that correct?

Also for the springs and shocks in the back, do I need to replace anything else? I see that they have spring insulators and adjusters. Do I need those? I am asking because once they have the wheels off and there is something else that should be replaced, I want to get it all done at once.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 11:04 AM

From 1958-'68 there are two sets of engine mounts Hi-Perf and standard. From 1969 to '72 there is only one set as all cars got the high performance version, same for 1973 to date just used a different clam shell mounting style than the 1958-'72 cars. And to cover al of the bases from 1932-'57 the mounts were holes in the frame on all for corners of the motor where a series of post and rubber biscuits held the motor/bell housing in place (similar to what holds on your front sway bar to the A-arm).

Almost every auto parts store will sell you a 1969-'72 rubber motor mounts (vibration isolator); but it will not fit the 1958-'68 car's frame stands because the factory changed the motor mounts in response to a federally mandated safety recall (first recall ever of a defective product). If you owned a car manufactured between 1958 and 1968 you were instructed to bring it into your local dealership where they would replace any broken motor mounts with the old style motor mounts that where two steel plates glued together with vulcanized rubber and added a set of brackets with a five ton wire cable sling to keep engine torque from tearing the motor mounts apart again. Because the wire cable bracket on the motor bolted onto the exhaust manifold if caused the galvanized cable to get hot enough for the zinc to burn off so the cables rusted away leaving just rusty clevis and eyelets bolted to the motor (I get an inquiry every now and then asking what is this, and that is what is left).

Spring isolators and all other rubber parts have to be replaced. I recommend polyurethane plastic as a good replacement for the factory rubber.

Big Dave
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 03:31 PM

On the topic of motor mounts..my 65 engine mounts need to be replaced...easiest method for this????

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksons65 View Post
On the topic of motor mounts..my 65 engine mounts need to be replaced...easiest method for this????
Jack it up a little bit and sneak them in (just watch distributor to fire wall clearance).

Big Dave
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

So how many engine and transmission mounts do I need?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 08:55 PM

2 engine mount's and 1 transmission mount. As Dave said above get the poly. mount's. Also safety first! I would place a block of wood laying across the crossmember and oil pan while engine is raised just in case something gives way. If your replacing the frame mounts to, the fastener's can be reached by going in through where the lower control arm mount's to the crossmember, a little agrivating but it can be done without disassembling everything but I don't think you will need to change frame mounts, I never heard of any being broke. Just passing the info.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 10:33 PM

If you have access to a engine hoist, that would raise the engine enough to change the mounts.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 10:42 PM
BA.

I vote Rubber over Poly for your wagon Alex.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 10:58 PM

Allen brings up a good point. Rubber vs. Poly. is a story in itself Check into it before you purchace there is a differance. I use poly due to mine being a convert.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks for all the info. I have picked rubber mounts as this is what Rock Auto has. Oh, and I will not be doing the work myself. My mechanic will be doing the work. I am not that skilled plus I do not have all the required tools.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 03:53 PM

dave
you bring back memories, I was a chevy parts man back in 1969 - 1977, boy we did a lot of those hold down kits with the cable, literally thousands, wish I had kept the parts books
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Could somebody tell me which motor mount is correct for my 1970 wagon with SBC 350? Napa lists both as front mounts for my year/model.

picture 1

picture 2
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:09 AM
BA.

Gotta be pic #1.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks. That's the one I got :-)

Thursday my wagon is going into the shop for few things. I have all the parts that are going to be replaced but I wasn't sure about the motor mounts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page