Electric cooling fan - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Electric cooling fan

I would like to add an auxillary fan to my 69 Caprice just as a backup. I also heard it will help with ac cooling. Any thoughts on this and what size fan should I be looking for. Also how should I wire it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 08:57 AM

You will be looking for the largest diameter fan that you can get to fit on the front of your A/C condenser coils. I would recommend one off of a V-8 powered Mercedes Benz as they use a mechanical fan driven by an electrical clutch as the primary fan and a large pusher fan on front of the A/C coils for when the A/C is activated or the car gets hot. The sensor that Mercedes uses is set for 205° degrees and is in the water jacket of the car (your motor will have an unused water temp hole plugged on one of the heads or on the intake manifold). I would also have it kick in whenever the A/C fires up just like Mercedes Benz did it.

Keep in mind it requires a third of a horse to power even a small fan and your mechanical fan on the car draws upwards of seven horse power to move as much air as it does. You will not find an electrical DC motor that you can even lift that out puts more than a horsepower or two (just think of your two and a half horse power or 2.0KW starter motor).

With any DC motor rotation is determined by polarity, they rely upon permanent magnets to work which is why they get heavier as the power level goes up; and the RPM is controlled by voltage so if you get a voltage drop due to a heavy amperage draw the motor will turn more slowly. Wire size is determined by the amperage draw and distance traveled (once again look at a starter motor that is rated at 2.0KW of power and needs a size 4 gauge wire to power the motor. You will need to use relays with a separate in-line fuse to power the fan motor.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'm going to see can I get the fan off the Mercedes first,then I will go from there. I would like to take pictures and document the work, just in case someone else is going to do the same thing. One thind that I notice is that there is a bracket in the middle for grille support that needs to be cut, it is dead in the middle in front of the condenser, other than that there is alot of room.

1969 Caprice 350 4BBL PW/AC
1970 Impala (Project in work)
2010 Camaro SS

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevycaprice View Post
Thanks, I'm going to see can I get the fan off the Mercedes first,then I will go from there. I would like to take pictures and document the work, just in case someone else is going to do the same thing. One thind that I notice is that there is a bracket in the middle for grille support that needs to be cut, it is dead in the middle in front of the condenser, other than that there is alot of room.

That bracket supports the nose of the car. If you wack out too much out of it, the front of the car could bend when you slam the hood or lean on it to check the oil.

Big Dave
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

I heard its best to put it front of condenser,how about in between the condenser and radiator?

1969 Caprice 350 4BBL PW/AC
1970 Impala (Project in work)
2010 Camaro SS
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 10:15 AM

Fans pull better than they push, so if you have room in between, that would be better. It would also be out of site/cleaner looking.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page