Quadrajet Secondary Rods - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
TJA

Quadrajet Secondary Rods

Well Ive been trying to source some BC Coded Secondary Rods, for awhile, without any luck. Does anyone have any sources for secondary rods they would like to share. Ive searched through all the google hits and the only place I found that said they could help was The Carburetor Shop. Of course they want $149.00 a pair for a set of secondary rods. Thats right 149 bucks! When I asked if they sold many sets he said I would be surprised. He was right. Id be surprised if they sold any at that price. But even if you do want em, you also have to buy their rebuild kit or they wont sell them to you. I also asked while I had them on the phone if they had a whole carb. QJet 7029200 or a 7029215. Ya for $2000.00 plus. Christ for that kind of money ill go with an aftermarket setup. Any suggestions for a source on the rods or an original carb or an aftermarket intake carb setup. This is for a stock 1969 335hp 427.

Thanks Guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJA View Post
Well Ive been trying to source some BC Coded Secondary Rods, for awhile, without any luck. Does anyone have any sources for secondary rods they would like to share. Ive searched through all the google hits and the only place I found that said they could help was The Carburetor Shop. Of course they want $149.00 a pair for a set of secondary rods. Thats right 149 bucks! When I asked if they sold many sets he said I would be surprised. He was right. Id be surprised if they sold any at that price. But even if you do want em, you also have to buy their rebuild kit or they wont sell them to you. I also asked while I had them on the phone if they had a whole carb. QJet 7029200 or a 7029215. Ya for $2000.00 plus. Christ for that kind of money ill go with an aftermarket setup. Any suggestions for a source on the rods or an original carb or an aftermarket intake carb setup. This is for a stock 1969 335hp 427.

Thanks Guys
Carter Carburetor made a lot of the Rochesters in this time frame as the Rochester plant couldn't keep up with demand. Edelbrock sells jet and rod kits for the Rochester as does Holley believe it or not.

http://www.carburetion.com/after.htm

http://www.carburetor.ca/carbs/kits/CK023.htm

The Carburetor Shop builds their parts from raw material not reselling other peoples manufactured parts. Those secondary rods are sitting on the shelf as a piece of brass bar stock right now. The carb you are asking about is a very rare (one of 419 made) COPO carburetor (numbers matching) which is why it is a little pricey compared to a rebuild of your own carb Which is going to run more than one from autozone.

Big Dave
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 12:53 AM

That is just crazy ! And how would you know if they were the exact same part?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 09:42 AM

Don, Thought maybe I could help you. I just went and looked at my stock of old QJet parts. I only have CH & DR coded secondary rods.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgwar View Post
That is just crazy ! And how would you know if they were the exact same part?
CNC makes whatever it is told to make. If they load the correct program into the five axis CNC mill they will get the correct part back out again.

Most people do not know how to program a CNC mill so the folks that sell the CNC mill will cheerfully also sell the end user an attachment that will scan in three dimensions with lasers any part that will fit inside the CNC milling cabinet; and the 3D scanner tells the mill what to make right down to the lettering stamped into the secondary rod which is actually machined into the part instead of being stamped.

Big Dave
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 12:15 AM

Amazing, Dave..I saw one of those in Lenno's Garage.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgwar View Post
Amazing, Dave..I saw one of those in Lenno's Garage.
Well people thought Xerox copies where pretty cool also; but it left an awful lot of monks sitting in monasteries with nothing to copy since everybody bought a machine. Same thing is happening today to highly skilled (also known as old) machinists, since anybody can copy anything now 2D or 3D.

My machinist has a five axis CNC mill and a bunch of conventional machine tools (though most are also computer controlled as well) but he hates CNC work as he is no longer working in a factory with his old buddies but alone and will take his knowledge of set-up (how to operate a machine tool as to tooling, speeds, and feeds) with him when he goes.

Big Dave
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
TJA

Thanks for the replys. Dave When you say the carb Im talking about is very rare which one are you talking about? I asked about both a 7029200 and a 7029215. Im going to assume your talking about the 9215. Looks like in the Chevrolet by the numbers book all the full size 335 and 390hp autos used the 7029200. I wouldnt think that carb was all that rare. The One that he said he had was a 9215 a manual tranny carb. Could you share the source of your production figures for the one you said they only made 419 of. Id like to check that out. I understand that if the carb shop made the rods for me the labor and yes the skill needed would justify the cost, but while I was talking to them they said it didnt matter if they made them or they had a factory set on the shelf. Cost was $149.00 a set either way. He also said they make them on a Jewelers lathe. Maybe its CNC controlled maybe not. As he said 1.50 in brass and 147.50 in aggravation. I have checked Edelbrock and all the obvious places and yes their are rods to be had but not BC rods. Any other suggestions.
Thanks again
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 02:50 PM

Dave I do that stuff for a living. You make it sound simple.

I do reverse engineering, product design and rapid prototyping for product development at my company. The laser scanners really have no correlation to the CNC mills and CAM programs that run them. There is quite a bit of surface data conversion and CAD/CAM work to replicate a scanned piece but perhaps someday it will all be a straight through process. This stuff is all big $$$$. A really neat machine I have is a large format SLA machine (stereolithography). Anything I create in CAD can be made in the SLA, and in about 24 hours you can hold a plastic example of your CAD model.

Something as simple as these rods could be done on a lathe but the gradual taper is the tricky part.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 03:22 PM

Tom I found a mint set of 'BP' secondary rods in my old carb stuff- would those help you out?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 03:25 PM

Also here is an excellent chart for QJet secondary rods:

http://www.hioutput.com/tech/qjetrod.html

-Scott
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
TJA

Scott,

Thanks for the offer on the BP rods but I decided to buy a complete 7029200. It was hard finding a used unmolested one that someone was willing to sell without wanting to restore it for me for a cost of 900 bucks. I finally found a good unmolested and complete carter bult one with the correct BC secondary rods for $295.00. Thanks again for the offer and the link.
Have a good one
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page