Draining Battery - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Draining Battery

I recently purchased a 1967 Impala SS. The battery has been draining when sitting for an extended period. I have chacked the voltage on the battery at night and it was 12.5V. By the morning it is down to 9.0V. I have gone through all of the fuses and none have been drawing from the battery. I did however find that the voltage regulator was drawing from the battery. With the voltage regulator disconnected the battery did not drain. I have replaced the regulator, but it is still draining the battery. I have not found a short yet. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Remove all the fuses and if the battery stays charged, then put one fuse at the time. This way you will isolate the problematic circuit. If the battery drains with all the fuses out, then you know that the problem is between the battery and fuse box.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 06:44 PM

I had a similar issue with my voltage regulator. Except I had it on a battery maintainer and could hear the regulator hum. Took more than one regulator to get one that worked right (I think it was the 4th one). For some reason there seem to be a lot of bad ones for sale out there.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 10:19 PM

You may have a bad diode in the alternator, pull the wires off the alt and see if that stops your drain. tape the big wire so it don't short out, it has bat voltage
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 09:56 AM

There are six diodes in the rectifying bridge. If any one blows the alternator will still charge but you have a potential to drain the battery as the one way electrical valve that is the function of a diode is now open to allow current to flow the wrong way.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page