2015 HotRod Power Tour - Impala Tech
Team Impala Cruise-Ins Get-togethers, announcements, shows & events

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

2015 HotRod Power Tour

Hello everyone, Im sure everyone is aware of the upcoming power tour. I plan on doing the power tour long haulers in my 67 Bel air wagon. Just posting to see if anyone else is attending? and what are some things I can do to prep the car for a 2500-3000 mile road trip? Is there things I should bring extra of IE: Oil and coolant ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 09:02 PM

I am planning on going. This will be my 5th year in a row doing the long haul. I hope to have my 60 Impala ready in time but we have a long way to go. We will also be taking our 61 BelAir. It is an awesome trip.

We bring tools, jack, and tons of other stuff. We have replaced fuel filters on the side of the road, we replaced shocks in a parking lot one year. We had a bad exhaust rattle one year and a local oil change shop let us use their pit.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 09:04 PM

You don't really need to bring everything, they stop frequently, and they have tech services that travel with the tour. Of course, being prepared will get you rolling quickly. Tools, spares, fluids, jack would be good to put in the trunk.

Prep? The regular stuff. Check everything. Tire pressures (they're not over 5 year old, right?), front end, U joints, brakes, brake lines, fuel lines. Change oil. Check trans and rear. Change coolant if it's old. Consider new rad and heater hoses, and belts.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
You don't really need to bring everything, they stop frequently, and they have tech services that travel with the tour. Of course, being prepared will get you rolling quickly. Tools, spares, fluids, jack would be good to put in the trunk.

Prep? The regular stuff. Check everything. Tire pressures (they're not over 5 year old, right?), front end, U joints, brakes, brake lines, fuel lines. Change oil. Check trans and rear. Change coolant if it's old. Consider new rad and heater hoses, and belts.
Yes GM has service techs at each venue every day. They will fix your car without a charge for labor if it is something they can fix. There is usually a crowd there every day, so if possible I like to take care of my own. I did borrow jack stands from them when we busted a shock and had to replace it a couple years ago.

Check your car out good before you go and make sure you take it on some small trips to work out any bugs.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 11:32 PM

Instead of metal jack stands that will sink into the ground try a rail road tie sawn into one foot sections. Won't sink into even the softest ground and it won't shatter like a concrete block will. Four pieces should do you unless you think you will need to raise both ends off the ground for some reason.

I have criss-crossed this country a dozen or more times having traveled every two digit interstate road system (not all of the bypasses that have a three digit numbers; though I have hit a lot of those as well), east to west and north to south just to see the sites and take photos. The secret is to keep the vehicle in good mechanical shape and pay attention to noises and shimmies as they first appear. Your car or truck will talk to you as you drive.

I have three eight foot by six foot heavy cloth panels that are covered with patches of sites we have seen and visited. I use them as curtains for the roll out roof panel on my Minie-Winnie motor home. People say I shouldn't put the state decals on my US map (and all of southern Canada) on the back of the camper until I have visited the state in question. They doubt that I have traveled that much until they see the quilt of patches that I have been to.

Big Dave
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 07:56 AM

Does anybody know the route this year?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the good advice, hopefully when the time gets a closer, some of us can pass along some contact info and check out each others impalas.. The route is as follows. June 6 – Alliant Energy Center, Madison, Wisconsin
June 7 – Parkland College, Champaign, Illinois
June 8 – Gateway Motorsports Park, Madison, Illinois (St. Louis)
June 9 – Memphis International Raceway, Memphis, Tennessee
June 10 – Hoover Metropolitan Stadium, Hoover / Birmingham, Alabama
June 11 - TBD
June 12 – Lamar Dixon Expo Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
June 13 – Lamar Dixon Expo Center – LONG HAULERS ONLY*
*Saturday, June 13th, is not open to the general public. The venue will only open for the Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler ceremony.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 01:07 PM

I really regret not doing the tour when it first started. My schedule was open then, and I can't go now because of work.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 03:46 PM

Originally they said June 11 was Biloxi MS, then it was changed to TBA so who knows what is going on.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 07:27 AM

That is too far off for me to join in.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 10:05 AM

Where do you spend the night? Does it cost a lot to stay in motels? Food? Fees? Fuel?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 09:25 PM

You make your own reservations, so you can stay in a cheap hotel or an expensive one. Same with food you can eat cheap or expensive. We always take several folks in each car and split the fuel cost. It's your vacation so spend as little or as much as you want. Every night it is a car show in the parking lot at the hotel. I enjoy that as much as walking around the venue each day. There are no rules you can leave as early as you want each morning. If you are doing the long haul you have to clock in by 6 each evening and have your card stamped to be eligible for the long haul ceremony the last day. The long haul award is usually a metal sign, but the big reward is just saying you made it the whole way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page