Wheel spacers - Impala Tech
Team Impala Cruise-Ins Get-togethers, announcements, shows & events

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Wheel spacers

I have a 67 2dr with the factory 4 piston caliper disc brakes. My rally rims don't clear so I have some crappy universal spacers on there for now. I can't find any specifically for an impala so I ordered some for a camaro the same year that have their own studs. Is this a bad idea? What do you guys recommend I do?because I want to keep the rally's on it because I like the look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 04:03 PM

Are your Rally wheels 14'' ? 15" rallys should bolt right on.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 07:19 PM

The factory used a 15 inch rally wheel with the four piston Girling brake calipers used on the Corvette and the Impala. Are you trying to use a 15" rim designed for drum brakes? I ask because if you had a 15 inch rally for disc brakes they would bolt up without a spacer.

There are 15" x 6"; 15" x 7"; and 15" x 8" rally wheels used on the C-2 and C-3 Corvettes that had the same brakes you have. Wider Corvette wheels have strange back spacings and are larger than 15 inch to clear larger disc rotors using BemBo and CPR brakes.

Big Dave

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 10:02 PM

14" wheels from the 70s/80s RWD mid size GM cars should work. Might be worth grabbing one from the junkyard to test fit.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 10:36 PM

There are no 14 inch wheels that will fit over the four piston Corvette brakes.

1965 was the first year for the Girling style four piston fixed bridge vented rotor 11 inch disc diameter with 461 square inches of swept area (compared to the 1964 drum system with only 328 square inches of brake area). Because the caliper was so large the brakes required 15 inch wheels (which where only six inches wide in 1965-'66 jumping to 15 x7 inch in 1967 before climbing to 15 x8 inch dimensions for the heavier more muscular Mako Shark show car inspired 1968 model year).

Mid 70 to 80's mid size cars where equipped with the single piston full floating GM disc brake that was not offered on a the full size Chevy until 1971.

Big Dave
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD-67coupe View Post
I have a 67 2dr with the factory 4 piston caliper disc brakes. My rally rims don't clear so I have some crappy universal spacers on there for now. I can't find any specifically for an impala so I ordered some for a camaro the same year that have their own studs. Is this a bad idea? What do you guys recommend I do?because I want to keep the rally's on it because I like the look.
I tried the same thing years ago. 4 piston brakes from a 68 Impala on my 66. I could not find a single 14" wheel of any brand or style that cleared those calipers. I am convinced there was never a 14" wheel made that will work.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 06:52 AM

I have some 14 inch rallys and they wont work with the bigger Impala brakes.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 09:17 AM

Are they four piston Girling brakes as installed on full size Chevy and Corvettes?

http://blog.daviescorvette.com/2010/...1982-corvette/

or the single piston caliper offered as an option on all other cars in GMs fleet after 1968?

http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/...feature30.html

As you can see by checking the links they do appear different.

Big Dave
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD-67coupe View Post
I have a 67 2dr with the factory 4 piston caliper disc brakes.
He is saying 4 piston which makes sense for a 67 B body.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 10:44 AM

They used the Corvette Girling style brakes on the full body and the Camaro, as well as the Chevelle for the two years 1967 - '68 when the single piston caliper was introduced on the smaller cars in 1969. Because Chevy engineers were concerned about the weight of the B-body cars overwhelming the single piston calipers ability to clamp the pad to the rotor; they kept the the Corvette brakes on the full size B-body cars up until 1970 (which didn't get the single piston caliper until 1971). The Corvette kept the four piston brakes made by Delco-Remy up until 1982.

Girling style brakes were chosen because they were what stopped all of the RAF's WWII bombers and fighter planes that all weighed in at over five tons and landed at over hundred miles an hour. If they could handle that kind of a heat load Chevy engineers knew it could stop a 435 horsepower 427 powered Corvette from 160 mph which was the anticipated top speed the car could obtain with factory gearing.

In 1983 Chevy switched over to PBR brakes on the Corvette and LT-1 optioned Camaro's because they were cheaper to buy than the they could make and support their own Delco-Remy brand parts that would seize up if you drove the car through standing water.

SSBC (aka Stainless Steel Brake Company) got it's start in Clearwater, Florida by sleeving the stock cast iron calipers with stainless steel sleeves to prevent the aluminum pistons from seizing to the calipers when Corvette owners drove through flooded streets in the summer time. They still do a booming trade upgrading Corvette brakes so that they work when they get wet.

Big Dave
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 10:56 AM

I'm not sure about the US Dave but in Canada we had a single piston caliper on our B body (same chassis as an Impala) sooner than 1971 as shown by the page I scanned from the Canadian b body parts catalouge.

I've never seen or heard of a 69 or newer Canadian B body (or any other GM body excluding Corvette which I have no knowledge of) with a factory 4 piston caliper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caliper 001.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	3000  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

thank you guys

first off... i appreciate your responses.
yes they are the big brakes (girling as you called them) 4 piston. my rallys are 15x8 (i believe) i called classic industries and asked if they had an offset rally that would clear and i got this part #DK15x8a what do you think? also in san jose there is a place called daves rallys and he said bring it by and if he doesnt have one that fits he will grind down the calipers so i can use the ones i have...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 07:35 PM
BA.

I have spacers with the studs in them on 2 cars for years with no issues.
I can try to find the name of the business making them, but need to be on my work PC.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
clearance, disc brakes, spacers, wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page