427 thinking of selling - Impala Tech
Site Discussion Website questions, suggestions, how do I

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

427 thinking of selling

I have a 427, 335 hp le complete eng. carb, fuel pump, water pump exhaust,ect. the block is at the mach. shop so it will have a kit to make maybe 400 hp. the heads carb intake would need to be redone, but i have a set of 049 heads all ready done with bigger valves, new head, main, rod bolts, new oil pan, new eng stand. this was going in my 67 chevelle but changed my mind, do you think some one on this site would be interested to put it back in 69 impala? or should I put it on ebay? and what would it be worth? thanks jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 01:40 PM

As to current value (with the current economy) only a search of recent sales on e-Bay could answer that. I would hold onto it for a few years (as the economy will be in the dumpster for another year at the very least before it even bottoms out). At that time people will have a different set of priorities. Maybe it will be worth more in the near future and it doesn't cost anything to hold onto it (assuming you do not loose your house during the wait).

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 03:08 PM

hey jim,

its probably going to be hard to sell in pieces (unless you sell it locally). would be better if you assembled it. what are you getting done to it at the machine shop? what kit are you refering to? Jackson, is that near Akron?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 04:02 PM

Jim,

The engine you have is the "low" 335 HP 2-Bolt Main LS-1 427. This was basically the work horse passenger car Big Block for `69 and was a direct replacement for the base 325 HP L-35 396 from `68. This was the most "common" 427 produced in `69, with 18,308 of them built for all full-size applications.

The 390 HP L-36 and 425 HP L-72 were the "High Performance" and "Special High Performance" 427's that year respectively. While both of these were technically available in any full-size `69 Chevy, (the L-36 was standard for the RPO Z24 SS 427 Impala) they were considerably rarer than the LS-1. Only 546 L-72's went into all full-size cars that year, and only a hand full more of the L-36 's were installed - don't remember the exact number.

Having said that, it sounds like you'll end up with a nice ~400 HP 427 based on how you're building it. That would make for a nice Big Block driver or project car. As far as worth and putting it on e-Bay, I think you'll find that most people out there looking specifically for a `69 427, are generally looking for the L-36's and L-72's - and most of those guys are looking for casting dates as close as possible to the build dates of their restoration projects. That's been my experience anyway.

If it were my engine, I'd finish building it the way you are, and keep it stashed away for the next hot rod project that finds its way into my garage. That doesn't usually take too long in my case, but that's just my two cents.

Why not put it in the `67 Chevelle? That would be a great candidate for this engine.

Bigblox
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replys guys. the chevelle ss has a 396 in it and is a 138 car and a pretty decent show car I took it off the frame and did it right, I always wanted a 427 but now I hate to put it in it. as for the kit the block will just be honed maybe or bored 30 at the max, I have a steel crank standard and put what ever pistons in it that napa sells to make 10 to 1. so I will just put it together and hang on to it probably. Jackson is about 200 miles from akron, just south of chillicothe. thanks Jim
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 11:09 AM

pm sent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page