Companion flange removal tool? - Impala Tech
Site Discussion Website questions, suggestions, how do I

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Companion flange removal tool?

As Im starting to reinstall the guts to my rear differential, Im reviewing my service manual for my 67 and notice a tool called "Companion Flange Remover J-8614" being listed. I've checked tool shops but dont see this tool. Does anyone know where to locate it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Companion Flange Removal Tool.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	11314  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 03:29 PM

I searched the Net and found it here:

http://www.handsontools.com/Kent-Moo...A_p_12724.html

Price is expensive though. Over $300

Don't know why you would need it though. You can hold the pinion gear by sliding a bar through the case.

Brian

Brian

1968 Impala SS Fastback 383 stroker
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 03:51 PM

I made my own. If you look at the picture it is a flat plate (quarter inch thick on mine) welded to a thick wall inch and a quarter steam pipe four foot long. On the flat plate you have to bore five holes. Four small 5/16 inch bolt holes that match the U-bolt (I used four bolts welded to the plate that stick through the pinion yoke's U-bolt holes instead), and a big hole in the center to clear your socket that is tightening the pinion nut.

If I had thought ahead I would have fabricated some bracketry (two flat plates with a three inch arch cut to rest against the top of the axle tube and spaced far enough away to allow you to slide the handle through two holes frilled in the plate to fit the handle through) that would allow me to just hang the tool over the axle tube and let the tube hold it in place while I torqued the pinion nut to crush the sleeve. But since I needed to hold down the housing as well, I tied the whole rear end and tool to a set of eye rings I welded on to the back bumper of my one ton tow truck for pulling my race car on it's trailer. (a welder is a very handy tool to have).

To slit the steam pipe to fit in the steel pipe I used my friction saw to carve a slot in the end of the pipe to hold the plate. (a drill press is another very handy tool to have, especially when drilling really big holes in thick steel plate).

If you check your yellow pages I'm sure your town has a welding shop that can fabricate something like this for a tenth to a fifth of the price of the tool.

Big Dave

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Yikes....I wonder if theres a slightly less expensive tool I can use. Seems silly to buy a $300 that I may use once or twice ever.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Good idea dave. I dont have welding capabilities in house though. Might have to look to see if a vendor has one at the upcoming Good guys show next month.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

I broke a screw driver and a 1/4 thick bar of metal already trying to get it even partially secured. Dont want to damage the pinion when I just bought it new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1967, differential, identification, tool

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page