upgrade membership?????? - Impala Tech
Site Discussion Website questions, suggestions, how do I

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

upgrade membership??????

Just noticed a link saying upgrade my membership, why? whats the point and why is a lifetime membership cost 60 bucks??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 04:04 PM
BA.

with membership you get space to hold any files you may want to upload. I think you also get more space to hold your Private Messages.

even without either of those, it's nice to support the site if it gives you something back in terms of project assistance, be it car parts or just knowledge.

The life-time member ship is just an upgrade to the space allocation of the lessor memberships I think.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 04:59 PM

I am officially a Team Member!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 06:21 PM
BA.

Nice!
Somehow my storage space from being a Team Camaro member is available to me here but I don't get the flag here.
One big happy family though!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

so what fringe benifits do i get besides the storage space?? hidden forums???
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:40 PM
BA.

you get one of those secret decoder rings!

seriously, I see that link too. why worry about it? you either know you want to 'join' / contribute or you don't. I know it sounds harsh but, I guess I don't understand the big puzzle here.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:42 PM
BA.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 09:44 AM

Neither this site nor the Nova site had a premium membership program as there wasn't enough volume to justify it. It is now available across the board (were if you buy in now your are automatically a premium member on all of the team boards). Only the mods get the secret decoder ring.

Big Dave
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Don
Administrator

Hi everyone...

It is my bad that an announcement was not posted here yesterday. That would have answered many of your questions ahead of time. I had just got through posting stuff on the Team Nova site and got distracted when someone pointed out that there was no previous membership plan on there either.

Yes, Scott, you are the FIRST to take a membership on Team Impala. Congrats!

If anyone has any questions after checking out the comparison chart, post here and I'll do my best to answer them.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/register.php?

Thanks... Don
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

No you right BA it is no big puzzle, I understand completely what it is, I just dont see why I sould have to pay 60 bucks for a little flag under my name, a little window sticker, and some extra storage space. I just want to know if there was anything else, you know like a t shirt saying "I'm a lifetime member of TEAM Impala and all I got was this lousy T-shirt", a 5% discount through vendors, more smileys? I mean I'd love to become a lifetime member, I love Impalas, this fine site, and all the helpful people here, but some sticker, upgraded storage, and less ads just isn't worth paying 60 bucks. Maybe when I have some money to spare I'll consider joining up.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 02:04 PM

one way to look at it is this...

sure you can stop in the magazine isle at the grocery store every month and read that magazine for free but to really read it and to use it, why not subscribe ? then you'll be helping support that magazine that's helped you time and time again on the troubling issues you've faced while building that car.

what's the difference between that magazine and this web forum ?

well you can ask questions instead of hoping to see it asked somewhere in the pages and a big difference is you'll get personalized answers that might be tailored to your specific needs.

these web forums are by far more beneficial than a "paged" magazine... it's definitely worth "Membership"... in my opinion of course.

Johnny (member at Team Chevelle, Camaro and soon to be member at Team Nova) and here too i hope
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Johnny is right, it is more about supporting the site than getting few more MBs of upload space. I do have few hosting accounts so I know how much it costs and what work is involved in maintaining a website like that. Plus I have received a lot of valuable help here on this forum that at least I can give something back by purchasing membership. That's also because comparing to most of the forum members, I know nothing about cars so I can't offer much help anyway
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Don
Administrator

Everybody has to make their own decision. I expect that the benefits are going to evolve here at Impalas because the program is new. And, if now is not the right time, then maybe later will be. And if that time doesn't come, as long as you're here you're welcome anyway.

Don
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

I wasnt trying to bust anybodys balls, I'm all about supporting the site and all the great people here, I was just finding out the fringe benifits of becoming a team member, it just isnt described that well and I was curious to see how far my 60 will go. I still think a T-shirt would sell me even more on the idea of joining up.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

where are these secret/hidden "members only" forums that are being spoke of, what do they contain?
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 05:26 PM

I built and ran a free hobby bulletin board for 10 years out of my own pocket to support my hobby. Just recently I gave it away because I don't have the time any more to deal with it and don't race slot cars any more. But I know how much work it takes to keep things running smoothly on a talk forum so I have an appreciation for what Al was doing here.

This is my new favorite place so I have no problem tossing $20 in the offering basket. I spend a lot of time here trying to help, get help or just hassling Big Old Dave.

Where's my stickers? (just kidding)
Great place. Hope it continues to grow with the new management.

-Scott
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Ape
Lifetime Premium Member

I did it today too. I love the site and have no problem dropping $60 to support a site that I visit everyday!

Ape Out.

Make: Chevrolet
Model: Impala Custom
Year: 1969
Doors: 2
Engine: 327 V8
Trans: Powerglide
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I am in too. All the valuable info you can get here on this site is priceless anyway.

What's up with the lifetime being 27 years. Is that when the internet is going to stop working?
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Don
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabina View Post
What's up with the lifetime being 27 years. Is that when the internet is going to stop working?
Actually, that's 9999 days which is a limitation of the little drop down web-thingy. We won't come back after you in 27 years... well, it won't be me anyway.

Don
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

so it technically isnt a lifetime membership? 27 years from now I'll be 49, it sounds like the younger crowd here gets the messy end of the stick, lol. (Is it me or is there more ads on this site than before?)
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 05:23 PM

One advantage of a premium site now is fewer if any ads. (got to pay for the site one way or the other). The hidden boards are for premium members of the Chevelle and Camaro site that were set up for premium mermbeship (this board and Team Nova are newer and (didn't at the time) have enough membership traffic to justify the added maintenance from an administrative view (times are a changin').

Here are the benifits that the Team Camaro and Team Chevelle had:

Membership benefits include:
  • Team Camaro Membership Card and Window Decal
  • Discounts to suppliers (as available), currently Ground Up offers a 10% discount on most items to Team Members and several others also offer discounts.
  • Access to exclusive private Member Forums and resources.
  • Supporting the survival and growth of Camaros.net
  • The ability to use Bold and Italics in our Classifieds Section (helps your ad stand out from the rest)
  • Use of the member to member Classifieds section (not publically available) which provides comfort as you are dealing with another Team Camaro member.
  • Supporting Members get recognition in the Forums, Classifieds, Showroom and Reviews by the Team Member designation and flag next to their name.
  • Showroom Storage space. Upload your photos to your members showroom account. Automatically resized and thumbnails created. Easy management and the ability to display to others, including the Forums.
  • Forum storage space for images. Another benefit is uploading images (attachments) directly to your posts in the forums. Again, the program will automate this process for you.
  • More storage space for Personal Messages.
  • Faster access to the forums, no "Sever Busy" messages as members get priority server response.
  • A One Year Membership is only $19.95 JOIN NOW
Go for the Gold!
Become a Gold Team Camaro member and receive extra benefits for your support dollars.
  • Gold Membership Decal
  • Gold Member Designation under your username.
  • Higher limits on attachments (photos) directly to the forums.
  • More storage space for photos in the showroom and forums.
  • The ability to create "albums" in your showroom for grouping photos.
  • Extra storage space for Personal Messages in the forums.
  • Priority server access.
  • A One Year GOLD Membership is $34.95 JOIN NOW
Hope that clears up where the secret forums are hiding, and why you can not see them as yet from here.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page