Green eyed monsters... - Impala Tech
Site Discussion Website questions, suggestions, how do I

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Green eyed monsters...

So, I'm totally green, just started looking at getting a car. Doing research, talking to people, learning all I can. Mostly likely I'll do a 67 hard top, 2 or 4 door, haven't totally settled on which.

My question is this, it's been niggling at the back of my mind, do these cars tend to draw "unwanted attention"? I live in the out skirts of Toronto, a pretty safe city, in the suburbs. At home the car will be in that garage. But I'm worried to take it somewhere and leave it in a parking lot. Anyone ever have their car vandalised, or worse stolen?

I'm sure you get the odd man child in a 2018 souped up whatever with something to prove at a stop light, not too worried about that, I'm past the point where I have anything to prove to strangers.

Do you find cops tend to harass more than usual or is it a "I just pulled you over to say how great your car is" type of deal.

Don't know if this is the right place to post this kinda ask, sorry if it isn't, just wondering if anyone had any stories. May e put my mind d at ease or at least let me know what I'm getting myself into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 03:28 PM

Our Aussie members have it figured out. No worry's mate!

These big old cars are not victimized as much as other cars are (say a BBC C2 Corvette, or a Cobra). They are ignored by cops; so long as they are quiet and not shaking store front plate glass windows. Accidents happen; but you can buy replacement insurance for less than you pay now for your daily driver You have to have proof of the value, so keep all receipts).

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 09:00 AM

The biggest issue I worry about is parking lot dings from people opening doors next to you. You don't want to make a claim for a little ding cause it will raise your insurance, yet if you have a really nice and expensive paint job it can cost $1000 to get it fixed.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 12:21 AM
BA.

I've yet to get pulled over in my Impala but I get stares, "Thumbs Up" and "wanna sell it" about every single time I drive it.

I'm ok with that.

I do think these old cars are easy to steal, so I just try to not make it an easy target. Smart parking, etc. You could put in a secret electrical switch to cut ignition power for an easy extra margin of prevention.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 07:41 PM
Team Member

My approach to driving my 68 is that the car is for driving, not parking. I avoid parking lots and rush hour traffic at all costs. Helps avoid a lot of BS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page