67 Impala /Caprice=Same? - Impala Tech
Site Discussion Website questions, suggestions, how do I

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

67 Impala /Caprice=Same?

I've been doing some reading, as far as I can tell, other than a few small external difference (i.e. rear and front corner lights and chrome side trim placement) the 2 cars are the same. I believe I saw somewhere the Caprice was pricier but had better/more options?

All that to say I'm looking for an Impala, they're hard to find, should I broaden my search to include the Caprice? Am I missing something but from what I can tell the frame and body are the same and I believe, don't know, but most of the parts are interchangeable? I also saw that Chevy made the Belair and Bicane but I think there are more differences than the Impala and Caprice.

Any input would be great... Also I guess the compatability between the cars and their parts would give a deep pool of parts to try and source from. By that I mean if the parts are interchangeable, say for the sake of argument, I wanted to replace a broken control arm and wanted to replace it with an original I wouldn't strictly speaking have to get it from an Impala.

As a side bar... If they are the same and I did get a Caprice would you guys kick me out? I kinda like it here. 😉
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 02:34 PM

They are all "B-Body" cars. The Impala, Caprice, Bel-Air and Biscayne. Except for some Trim differences, the Front Clips are the same and the Chassis and Running Gear are either the same or interchange-able. Many other parts are interchange-able body style to body style. The Corning Lights were an option that could be had on any of them, as well as many other options offered. In the Caprice, they made 2-Door and 4-Door cars. The Caprice was the top of the line and the "fanciest".

All B-Body cars are welcome here.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I've been doing some reading, as far as I can tell, other than a few small external difference (i.e. rear and front corner lights and chrome side trim placement) the 2 cars are the same. I believe I saw somewhere the Caprice was pricier but had better/more options?
Just about if you ignore the roof line. The Caprice has a more vertical sail panel as opposed the fast back look of the Impala. But aside from the roof the difference is the cloth inside the car (Caprice has a fleur de lis pattern embroidered in the cloth) and different trim. The corner marker lamps were standard equipment on the Caprice, but were available as an option on the Impala.

Actually doors are different due to the roof line. Trunk lids differed as well for the same reason. Other wise everything was the same. The Caprice shares sheet metal with the Cadillac as that is were the roof comes from.

Of course the difference between a Caddy and the Chevy wasn't so much the sheet metal as the motor under the hood and the trim level (with the Caddy having every option available on a Chevy as standard equipment; and had a host of other more luxurious options that you couldn't live with out such as lights in the ash tray).

Big Dave

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Lights in the ash try you say? I may have to reconsider this whole impala thing altogether.... 😉

Does the roof line differ on the 4 door models as well or just the 2 door?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 04:03 PM

There were 4 different Roof Lines in '67 on B-Body Passenger Cars. The 2-Dr Sport Coupe (Fastback), the 2-Dr Caprice, the 4-Dr Hardtop (No Post) and the 4-Dr Sedan (Post).

Member:

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 08:05 AM

I'm glad I have a 63. The biggest change between Impala, Bel-Air and Biscayne was trim and the number of tail lights you got.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadwolf View Post
I'm glad I have a 63. The biggest change between Impala, Bel-Air and Biscayne was trim and the number of tail lights you got.
Well, I'm sure that was just a light hearted comment, but still want to point out that while the '67 has 4 different Roof Lines, the '63 has 3.

Member:

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 11:27 PM

lol what's a roof line among friend's

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page