1969 Impala convertible - Impala Tech
Site Discussion Website questions, suggestions, how do I

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

1969 Impala convertible

New to the group found this site today-I have a 69 Impala convertible 327-235hp automatic that I drove in college . It has some rust and and no engine. What is this vehicle worth if it was restored other than fond memories
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 07:03 PM

Hello! Do you have pics? What it's worth is a pretty broad question, depends on many, many things. The biggest being finding the perfect buyer prepared to pay what it's worth. You will find values all over the map depending where you look...I am talking a WIDE range.

Let's do this...if you want to share some data on it I'd be happy to go over the car in detail with you...

www.1969chevy.com

'69 Impala LM1 F40 J52 M38 C60 N33
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 07:35 AM

Anything "convertible" is a big plus. Worth more and more desirable.

Here is a website that offers values on collector cars. Here is what they say about 1969 Impala's:
http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/me...s/69chimla.htm

They show a #5 (parts car, basket case) as being worth about $850

Up from there condition wise;
#4-$3,100
#3-$6,300
#2-$8,850
#1-$11,625

If you were just interested in selling to make a profit, I'd suggest getting it running and into the #4 or even #3 class.

Remember though, no price is etched in stone. Putting this car on ebay will most likely get alot more than what they list.

Bob

1963 Impala 283 * 1966 Impala 327 * 1966 Chevelle SS 409 *
1969 Malibu 307 * 1969 C-10 Stepside 350 * 1971 C-20 fleetside 6 cyl * 1972 Malibu 307

Bob's Classic/Antique auto parts
http://stores.ebay.com/Bobs-Classic-Antique-auto-parts

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 12:21 PM

I have to disagree...(no offence and in my own opinion...) be careful - you can find many publications with "Value guides" - I personally have found most of them to be garbage. There are too many factors to take into account, which they do not account for. (or else folks like Barret Jackson wouldn't make money...but then again that's an extreme in another direction!) The value guides are intended for general info only...

I checked out the link Vs. what these sell for on eBay, on auctions, and in my own personal experience, the values stated are way, way out.

Bob aks a good question - do you need to know value to sell it, to insure it, or just for the heck of it? Probably WHY you need to know would determine how much detail you need to go into...maybe a "value guide" value could be all the info you need at this time. Bob's also very right in that no matter what, being a convert it will be worth more...

www.1969chevy.com

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the dialogue I know I was asking a loaded question. The reason for the question is for me to decide whether I want to do a #3or4 resto or do a #1. I also have questions regarding keeping it original or updating the interior and installing a big block. The fact that it is a BIG convertible makes me want to do something with it-Enjoy the conversation and appreciate everyones comments

The vehicle is ready to be restored - the engine is out the interior is out and parts are in storage to repair the body though not much work is required as it has never seen a winter. I was getting ready to split the body from the frame so I could update suspension and brakes just not sure which way I should proceed
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 02:34 PM

It's your car, do what makes you happy.
Keeper = make it comfortable and dependable
Resale = fix obvoius problems and unload
Restore and show = dump tons of money into it and don't expect much back.
There is a reason a lot of people are doing restro restorations.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Emptytank-what is that reason?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 09:50 PM

If you look at TV, resto is the hot ticket right now, yeah you could go out and buy a brand new Mercedes for $80,000.00. You make the payments, you drive it down the street, and it may grab a little attention. You take $20,000.00 and restore your 69 drop top, and you will turn all heads. The difference is, you dont have to make payments, you already have the title. Just catch an episode of Overhaulin, and watch Chip Foose turn somebodys average car into a work of art, and you'll see what the buzz is all about. These Chevy's are in big demand, I drive my 66 Caprice in Chicago, and everywhere I go people ask me if I want to sell it, and it's in primer. I paid $1,400.00 for my car, and in the first month someone offered me $9,500.00, and I should have sold it, but I was holding out for $10,000.00. My advice, if you like your car, put it together the way you want to, make yourself happy with your car, 69 was a good year, and it is a hot number, just remember, they dont make cars with real steel these days, I wont sell mine until something better comes along.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 12:36 PM

Read Empty Tanks's post above...I think that's the most sound advice in this thread.

The market for the 1969's is not mature yet, although growing quickly. The only one's currently that being any value at all are either excellent completely documented, "numbers matching" originals or excellent well done restorations keeping the car "correct". If you want to do a professional restoration, you will exceed the value of the car, period. If you do a cheap resto, you might make money off someone who doesn't know better, which in my opinion is shadey...but in most cases you will spend money to decrease the value of the car (check eBay, you'll see piles of examples on there...)

At the end of the day, spend your money and restore the car to what makes YOU happy with it, as your opinion is the only one that counts. It should be about what makes you happy, and at that point the value of the car or the price of the restoration are irrelevant. If you're in it to make money, do what Emptytank suggests and fix obvious problems, and unload. If you do anything else and expect money, you're doing it for the wrong reasons, and wasting your time...(and money!)

www.1969chevy.com

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 12:38 PM

Can someone tell me why this posted twice and can I delete 1 since I doubt anyone wants to read my ranting twice over?!

www.1969chevy.com

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 11:22 PM

Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevyguy
Can someone tell me why this posted twice and can I delete 1 since I doubt anyone wants to read my ranting twice over?!
If you click on edit, you can delete any message you post. It may have posted twice if you clicked on submit reply twice
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 11:21 AM

I have a 69 convertible with the L48 350/300hp engine, turbo hydra-matic automatic transmission, air conditioning, original red body/red interior. I had it appraised for insurance purposes for $15000. I have had $20000 offered to buy it. I would say it is a #2 condition. All original numbers matching automobile. It needs some work but a great weekend toy that I can take to local car shows and have a great time. Just like everyone has mentioned it is all about what makes you happy. I love driving this car and if I where to put $20000-$30000 into a body off resto I would not want to drive it so I enjoy it just the way it is. Decide what you want out of the car and enjoy the heck out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page