Please help w/what this car is worth... - Impala Tech
Site Discussion Website questions, suggestions, how do I

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Please help w/what this car is worth...

I have found a 1960 Chevy Impala and I'm hoping you guys can offer some guidance on value. Its a 348/4v, auto, bubble top, #s match engine.

The general look of the car is all the trim is there and not dented, can't find a dent in the grill work or tail side fascia, body panels have never been wrecked and are straight and not dented anywhere that I can see. I did see some rocker panel rust, indicating some metal work needed, but it looks localized and minimal. The floor pans were amazingly clean for their age showing a light looking rust. I suspect abrasion and coating would fix, if not pan replacements not out of the q.

The engine was rebuilt 20 years ago and drove 2 miles, so i at least expect
it poss to tear it down and clean it up, maybe even use the stock carter 4 barrel. It appears to have power steering, but I don't see a brake booster, no a/c or condenser found. Did these cars come w/A/C?

Not sure about the trans, thought think its a power-glide. Was that the norm for these? Hey, I'm a drag racer-works for me.

Car was built in Los Angeles, looks like the car was licenses through
1970 and parked permanently, not sure why. I though the odom indicated 20k.

Although the dash AND gauges look in ok condition, the seats are in poor shape and min will need rebuild or replacement. Door panels off, but stated they had them.

All the glass in the car was there and in good shape, driver's door win had problems w/hanger. I wonder if its poss to remove to clean without breaking front and rear glasses???

Overall, it is a mess, but the body is so straight and complete, it looks like its got a lot of potential, plus it has the 348 engine.

Intentions for car are restore for resto-mod use, ie disc brakes,wheels, a/c,
probably same engine/trans rebuilt and cleaned up.

Anyway, see if you have any ideas of cost based on these pics? I'm at a loss on what its worth.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:22 AM

Welcome Paul. Thats the kind of car us boys back east in the rust belt dream of. From what you describe and the photos, if you can buy it for under 10 grand I'd say you got a good deal.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 12:33 PM

What a great survivor! I would recommend getting it running and polish the paint 7 or 8 times to stave off restorations costs on the paint for a while and have fun with it. Most people don't realize how much fun a car with slightly imperfect paint is until they have one.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys. decision not final until we negot a price. thinking 4500. as a first offer.
I'm not sure how much the owner knows about the car. her comments through someone I know were, "why would he want that old car....". how hard is it to rebuild those 348s?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 02:25 AM

Wow, awesome car....
I would love to see this car built, and as it sits, I am positive there would be people willing to pay $10k.

Keep us updated!!!
Nick

OCD Customs
My Wheels
Classic Nation car pictures.

1965 Impala SS
6.2L LSX with 4L80E, 3.73 Gears, Disc Brakes, Air Ride
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 09:05 AM

Great car. Looks like it has lots of potential. I would think $4,500 to $6,500 would be ok.

Your biggest issue might be the wiring but you didn't comment on the condition of the wiring. I see it still has the generator and not an alternator.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 01:54 PM

I don't think the wiring is as much of an issue as would be the frame rot or other sheet metal rust through.

Tom

1965 Impala SS Tahitian Turquoise 427 4 Speed
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

looking like 4k from todays negot. The floor pans are probably going to need replacement along w/rocker work. Anyone know the cost of a winshield and rear window? I DO NOT want to replace them as they are orig, but taking them out things happen.

Here are a few more pics:

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 07:34 AM

I see it had a hand brake installed, so the car belonged to somebody who was missing their left leg (or had lost the use of the leg). They probably didn't drive it much.

Big Dave
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Now I know why I have interest in this car. After looking back through some photos, I found a picture of my Dad's car w/my dad, brother and self (dog Lucky) in photo. Until this second I had no idea was a 60 4dr Impala.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page