Auto Insurance - Impala Tech
Site Discussion Website questions, suggestions, how do I

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Auto Insurance

My new car will be on it's way soon ...what do you use for auto insurance? Do you use a classic car company like Hagerty, your regular auto insurance etc? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 09:13 AM

Hagerty is great
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 10:31 AM

I wouldn't use a standard insurance company unless you had a custom policy written to protect your investment.

The valuation of the car is all important. If you have saved every receipt from the time you bought the car and paid yourself minimum wage as an unskilled worker for every hour you spent working on the car then you stand a chance at reaching an equitable value for your cars value. Just keep in mind the more it is worth the more you pay in premiums and will have to adhere to the restrictions laid out in the policy (such as where and how it is parked and how much and when you can drive it).

Many classic car policies require a locking garage to store it in (alarmed if it is expensive enough) and won't let you drive on days that have too high a percentage of rain or at night in some instances. They also limit the number of miles you can drive in a year, etc.

Big Dave

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

What do you recommend for a company then? Not really keen on people restricting miles, weather or where it's stored.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 09:38 AM

Hagerty does not have a mileage limit, but expects it to be driven occasionally for pleasure, not a commuter.

Quote:
Freedom to enjoy your car
We believe cars are made to be driven. So our policy allows limited pleasure use with no fixed mileage limits. Whether it's a drive on a gorgeous summer day, a trip to the ice cream shop, attending club events or going to shows, you're covered. If you have specific questions about usage, especially if you own a newer vehicle (generally 1990 and newer), we're happy to discuss them with you.
Quote:
Qualifications for our program include:
Usage: Vehicles should not used for daily transportation.

Storage: Vehicles must be stored in an enclosed and secure structure.

Regular-use vehicles: Every driver in the household must have a regular-use vehicle for daily transportation.

Driver eligibility: Generally, one or two minor traffic violations or accidents per household are acceptable.
http://www.hagerty.com/Collector-car...olicy-features

You want a policy that has an "agreed value", not "stated value". The specialty classic car insurers will be doing "agreed value" whereas your regular insurance companies probably will not. Regular insurance companies value the car by their book values, which do not take into account all the expensive work you have done to your car, just what it could sell for (in the best case).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 01:44 PM

I have Hagerty and have no complaints. Ive driven my 65 convertible from Ohio to Daytona, Florida and Reno, Nevada.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcairns View Post
Hagerty does not have a mileage limit, but expects it to be driven occasionally for pleasure, not a commuter.
As far as I know Hagerty specializes in collector's car which is not a daily driver.

There are other insurance companies out there where you could choose from. You might want to check out this link http://www.yepmarket.com/how-much-car-insurance-do-i-need and get an online quote of how much insurance do you really need then after that choose a good company that you prefer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page