Renaming link in my sig. - Impala Tech
Site Discussion Website questions, suggestions, how do I

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Renaming link in my sig.

Is there a way to rename the link to my album in my sig? I want to name it "MY IMPALA" instead of having that long string if that is possible. Anybody?

"MY IMPALA"

10B 1969 16447 Impala 'Survivor'

"MY Z"
06A 1969 Camaro Z28 'Unrestored'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 04:45 PM
BA.

Yes.

I think it would be something like this. I'm not really an html coder, but I've done this before at other sites.

<a href=/www.impalas.net/forums/21-site-discussion/"http://www.impalas.net/forums/album.php?albumid=237" target="_blank">MY IMPALA</a>

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 04:47 PM
BA.

You can also get close at www.tinyurl.com..... this is how your link turns out.

http://tinyurl.com/MY-IMPALA

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 05:04 PM
BA.

Boom.

MY IMPALA

Last edited by BA.; 06-13-2013 at 05:50 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Damnnn BA your good. Which method did you use? I think I'll give your first response a go. I was able to do it too on another site but heck if I can remember how, that was in 2001 and someone then told me what to do.

"MY IMPALA"

"MY Z"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Hey Allan. I gave it a shot. Now the string is longer. I do remember it took me several tries when I did this on another Team site. Should the string actually grow like that? You know what I mean? I'm gonna give it another try. I must be doing something wrong. Should there be any space between the link and what I'm adding on each end of it?

"MY IMPALA"

"MY Z"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 06:57 PM
BA.

You should *literally* just right-click over the word "MY IMPALA" in my last post, select Copy, and then paste that into your Signature.

At first I tried copying from my pro-touring.com signature line for about 30 minutes.

Then I got smarter and looked at this sites page for a similar reference. (ie. where a Hyperlink exists under a common text name).
I saw "Private Messages" up in the upper-right hand side of the screen and knew it was doing what you wanted to do.
Most browsers have a function either in the right-click menu when you hover over a link, or in the pull-down menu's at the top that let you see the HTML source code going on 'in the background'. Of course, it looks like a bunch of gobbly-gook to any normal person but when you study/look at it, you can see the pattern of things develop enough that you get a very very rudimentary understanding.

Under that link "Private Messages" on everyones page, using one of the methods above, you can see the underlying code is <a href=/www.impalas.net/forums/21-site-discussion/"private.php">Private Messages</a>

Luckily I had seen the pre-pending and ending of the < and >. I've seen the use in fonts and colors and things as a /a. As in, the a is the beginning of a string of codes, and the /a indicates the end of them. It's like a wrapper.
Looking at the string above, it wasn't too hard to know/test that we replace the word "Private Messages" with "MY IMPALA", and that we replace "private.php" with your link.

I've spent 28 yrs in networking, so I see this HTML stuff from time to time and once used Microsoft FrontPage to make a personal website. (a 10 yr old could have done it, lol) So, point is, I'm not completely unfamiliar with it. Troubleshooting web-access issues and building networks is what I do. I have to work with various application people a lot when they think the network is causing them an issue.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post
You should *literally* just right-click over the word "MY IMPALA" in my last post, select Copy, and then paste that into your Signature.

At first I tried copying from my pro-touring.com signature line for about 30 minutes.

Then I got smarter and looked at this sites page for a similar reference. (ie. where a Hyperlink exists under a common text name).
I saw "Private Messages" up in the upper-right hand side of the screen and knew it was doing what you wanted to do.
Most browsers have a function either in the right-click menu when you hover over a link, or in the pull-down menu's at the top that let you see the HTML source code going on 'in the background'. Of course, it looks like a bunch of gobbly-gook to any normal person but when you study/look at it, you can see the pattern of things develop enough that you get a very very rudimentary understanding.

Under that link "Private Messages" on everyones page, using one of the methods above, you can see the underlying code is <a href=/www.impalas.net/forums/21-site-discussion/"private.php">Private Messages</a>

Luckily I had seen the pre-pending and ending of the < and >. I've seen the use in fonts and colors and things as a /a. As in, the a is the beginning of a string of codes, and the /a indicates the end of them. It's like a wrapper.
Looking at the string above, it wasn't too hard to know/test that we replace the word "Private Messages" with "MY IMPALA", and that we replace "private.php" with your link.

I've spent 28 yrs in networking, so I see this HTML stuff from time to time and once used Microsoft FrontPage to make a personal website. (a 10 yr old could have done it, lol) So, point is, I'm not completely unfamiliar with it. Troubleshooting web-access issues and building networks is what I do. I have to work with various application people a lot when they think the network is causing them an issue.

I was just thinking of doing that when I read your last reply. I said why not copy and paste what Allan did and Bold it, change colors add quotation marks and abracadabra it was there...I think I gotta do a test to me sure.

I copy and pasted

"MY IMPALA"

"MY Z"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page