Under Coating Floor - Impala Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Under Coating Floor

Just about have my floor board under coating removed , yeah that was real fun.What have you guys used to re coat the under side I was looking at the schutz by 3M any other thoughts I see where alot of guys use bed liner looks to be about the same cost .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 11:07 AM

Well if cost is going to limit your choices then you will not even consider the best protection that can be had. That is properly prepped steel covered with POR-15. A cheaper solution is Rustoleum over a rust inhibiting primer then coated with bed liner or the factory original asphalt coating is also available as in an aerosol can.

http://www.rustoleum.com/automotive/

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Never said cost was an issue I was saying between the 2 that I mentioned there were about the same cost wise.I was asking what other people have used I am open to all suggestionsYes I have considered Por as I have considered Eastwood products.I do like to get a general cost of what I will spend on a product.WHAT PRODUCT HAVE YOU USED AND ARE YOU HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 01:33 PM

You can not beat POR-15 with a stick. Best polyurethane cover for metal that I have ever encountered, and I have been around nearly three quarters of a century. If you follow the instructions and apply their products (cleaner, metal prep, sealer and over coat that we call POR-15 it will last the life of the car plus a few decades.

That said there are few draw backs. First those spills and drips are also there for eternity so be very careful to protect whatever you don't want coated (including yourself, as if it gets on you, you have to wait until you can grow new skin beneath what is covering you now before it will come off.) If you do not properly clean and prep the surface there is a chance that the trapped oils or dirt could prevent the plastic from adhering to the metal.

Second is if you have something you do not want seen, do not cover it with POR-15, as you can not go back later and just sand it off to complete some poor done body work. It fries to a high gloss finish (unless you buy satin black) and as such will show any forty grit scratches or weld splatter. POR-15 is so tough that the only way I know how to remove it is with an acetylene torch, which is hard on the metal underneath it, and may set the car on fire.

Final draw back is the expense. the product isn't cheap and it is hard to save any left overs. You can put Saran Wrap plastic sheeting down onto the paint and leave a flat sheet under the can so that it seals up air tight. Even then there is enough oxygen in the can to form a thick skin on the remaining paint (but what is under that skin is still good to use).

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 07:40 PM

I've been told the trend is the spray in bed liner, so I tried it. I had my 68 sprayed from the toe board to the tail pan with line-x. So far no chipping and looks as good as day 1. Prep work is critical as with anything.
POR-15 would be my back up if the line-x failed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page