Why no 67-68 body pannels? - Impala Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Why no 67-68 body pannels?

I have recently purchased a 67 ss for restroration and I can't find hardly any sheet metal for the car There is plenty out there for other years before and after but not for these two years. Was the tooling destroyed for these models or what?

67 impala ss 327/400
63 meteor 2 door sedan
97 chvey 1500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 03:25 PM

Welcome to the Team Brock!

The aftermarket chases dollars (or the Yuan) and as such makes parts to meet demand.

Currently there is little demand for sheet metal to repair your car as most car owners are asking for parts to fix their 1964, or 1965-'66 Impala (which is but a drop in the bucket compared to owners orders being placed for new sheet metal to rebuild a Chevelle, or a second generation Camaro, or an early model Chevy II).

To meet the demand currently for sheet metal most people trying to restore these cars cut up another Impala parts car that is harder to rebuild (because the front end was knocked off of it by a semi, leaving two pristine quarter panels and trunk parts to salvage and buying another less desirable four door car hit in the back end for front end parts. Between the three cars he owns he may find all of the small parts he is missing as well as having a choice as to other options not found on the project car.

I live out in the weeds so I can have all of the junk cars I want out behind the barn or stored in the barn if valuable enough provided they are not an eyesore or leak fluids. Your situation may vary; but a parts car usually fills the bill.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 05:05 PM

Garage
Hit craigslist. Around here there is plenty of parts for sale.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocks67ss View Post
I have recently purchased a 67 ss for restroration and I can't find hardly any sheet metal for the car There is plenty out there for other years before and after but not for these two years. Was the tooling destroyed for these models or what?
There are front lower, and rear lower quarter panel repair sections, but as you have found out, no full quarters. They are sorely needed as there are tons of these cars out there being restored that are rusty. NOS or good used (both of which are almost non-existent) is the only way you will find full quarters. No fenders or doors either. Again, NOS or good used. Shoot me a private mail and I'll discuss this further with you.

Donny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page