Urethane mounts - Impala Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Urethane mounts

I purchased Prothane Motion 7-134 urethane body mounts for my 66 Impala 2-dr HT and must say I was very disappointed. The bushings in their kit were incorrect in both size and quantity and had to be returned. Can someone recommend a brand that fits properly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 10:22 AM

I have never used anyone's parts for a 1965-'70 Impala because I don't own one. I can say that I have used Energy Suspension's body mounts and engine and transmission mounts on Novas and Camaros without ever having a part not fit perfectly. There bread and butter is not the automotive aftermarket but the military. They make the bushings for every truck and artillery piece that rolls that the government owns. They are very familiar with the concept of building parts to Mil Spec.

They also offer new hardware in deluxe kits that have new sleeves, and washers as well as new bolts. I just don't know if they offer them for the 1965-'70 Impala as of yet .

But I they exist because I bought a complete deluxe body suspension kit for my brother's 1969 Chevelle SS and it had all of the hardware making installation a breeze as most of the original hardware had rusted away from the salty air where this car had lived it's life on a Gulf beach island.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for getting back to me, Dave, but I after reading many posts and talking to a friend that runs a tire shop, I've decided to go back to rubber. I'm willing to sacrifice handling for ride and quiet.

Now the dilemma is "where to buy good mounts". There are a lot of horror stories about modern (possibly chicom) rubber only lasting 3-4 years.

Any thoughts?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 10:16 AM

Nothing made today matches the factory original. The modern mounts are a third of the Durometer reading (how hard the rubber is) of the factory originals. That coupled with the fact that most original mounts were vulcanized only (glued together) with no interlock to prevent separation.

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Not the answer I was hoping for... If it weren't for my love of older cars, I would wonder why I started this project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page