Transmission tunnel help needed ! - Impala Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
rcb

Transmission tunnel help needed !

New to this site ! Converting my 63 Impala from auto to 4 sp.
I purchased an original manual trans floor tunnel cover from a donor
car and want to cut out my floor to the correct size hole. Can anyone
supply me with the actual size and location of the floor opening ?
Many Thanks...
Bob
Pittsburgh, PA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 03:16 PM

Welcome to the Team!

Info like that is locatedin the GM copyrighted Assembly manual. It lists the information of where to cut the hole for the floor shifter referenced off the floor seam and a few bumps made to support the seats. I don't have a 1963 Impala or I could give you the dimensions as I bought said manuals for all of the cars I have owned. Your car uses TWO Assembly manuals; the 1962 year series of books plus a 1963-'64 supplement.

Hopefully someone who has performed this operation, or who has a a copy of the $25 each manuals can provide you with the dimensions.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
rcb

Thanks Big Dave for the info... I have the assembly manual and it shows the location of one of the bolt holes for the tunnel cover
measured from the edge of the carpet. Since the mouse infested carpet has been removed, I can't get an accurate measurement.
Thanks again...
Bob

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb View Post
Thanks Big Dave for the info... I have the assembly manual and it shows the location of one of the bolt holes for the tunnel cover
measured from the edge of the carpet. Since the mouse infested carpet has been removed, I can't get an accurate measurement.
Thanks again...
Bob
Because the part of the shifter body where the handle attaches to it, needs to be basically centered in the 'hole' in the tunnel extension, locating that point from the interior of the car is risky.

One way to reduce the risk is to locate that point from underneath, using the actual transmission and shifter body, lifted into position, as a template. Mark, and drill a hole from underneath. From there cut a temporary hole in the tunnel (maybe 6"L x 4"w) for the shifter body to fit through.

Delay final cutting and installation of the tunnel until the transmission w/shifter body attached is in place. Fit the tunnel extension precisely where it belongs and mark the outline. Remove as much of the tunnel as you wish; making sure you leave enough steel to attach the tunnel screws.

I believe GM removed all the steel 'inside' the extension to avoid creating a pocket to trap water. Also, there is a water proofing 'seal' between the extension and the tunnel.

If you want to jazz it up a bit, you may make it look like my '63. That's a shifter plate from a '61 SS w/bench seats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0553.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	15009  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page