What fits? - Impala Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Question What fits?

Just bought a 68 4 dr hardtop that needs pretty much an entire front end. Need advice on what is going to fit. I know this generation ran from 65-70 and that Chevy made did facelifts on an almost annual basis. So, questions galore to follow. Needing a front end, of course I am looking into fenders, inner fenders, hoods, grills, etc. What all would I need? The front end is stripped down to the frame and engine cradle all the way back to the firewall. And on that note, is there a difference on the front end between a 2 dr and a 4 dr? Would fenders and the like be identical from 65-70? What do I need to look for that will fit my car?
Input and answers are much appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 11:38 PM

Well I know one thing because I am kind of in the same situation I have a 68' custom coupe 2dr and I was told by a few 4dr owners that the 2dr front fenders will work

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 11:48 PM

On all the older Full Size cars, say '73 and older anyway, a Fender is a Fender. The only thing that is different is some trim and some trim locations, but I don't believe that would be an issue in '68.

As far as individual parts though for a '68, they need to all be from a '68. With the exception of the Headlights themsleves, nothing else will interchange with it.

Bill

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! Bill, when you say everything has to be from a '68, I assume you are meaning bumper, grill, etc. is that correct? So a fender is a fender throughout '65-'70 but if I get a '67 bumper, I better get everything else for the front from a '67. Am I understanding this correctly? I am still knew to classic cars, never worked with any before.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 12:08 AM

No, when I stated a Fender is a Fender, I meant between 2-Door and 4-Door cars, as well as Wagons and Convertibles. Every year Fender is an individual. You will not only need '68 Fenders, but as mentioned above every single part that you will need for your '68, other than the Headlights themselves, will need to be from another '68.

Member:

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 12:15 AM

Now that said, even though I don't agree with it, you can sometimes put a whole different Front Clip (the whole Front End of the car as a unit) from one year to another. For example you can put a '65 Front Clip on a '66. Also you can probably put a '69 Front Clip on a '70. But in '68, it is '68 only. A '67 Front Clip will not work because of the Windshield Wipers. In '67, they are exposed and in '68, they are hidden. Unless you wanted to do some retro-fitting, which I really don't recommend, lol.

Member:

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 12:23 AM

Lol this is the same lesson I have learned about my 68' I have done a lot of searching on this particular year and if it's not a 68' won't work if you look on Google images and search 67',69' etc you'll see the difference in the front ends

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Ouch. Ok, so I need to stick with '68 parts only or an entire clip from the same year. Currently the car is stripped all the way back to the firewall, so would a '67 front clip still be a PITA with the wipers? I am used to looking at '90s imports and generally a facelift over a generation means subtle changes and things can be mismatched year to year with generally no problem.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagnerTW1291 View Post
so would a '67 front clip still be a PITA with the wipers?
Most definitely.

Member:

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagnerTW1291 View Post
I am used to looking at '90s imports and generally a facelift over a generation means subtle changes and things can be mismatched year to year with generally no problem.
These cars are very unique in comparison, but that's what makes them great.

Now that said, these 'ol cars can take many parts from other year cars, but more Mechanical than anything.

Member:

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 11:12 AM

The basic dimensions of the parts all interchange from 1965 through 1970. However every year the stamping dies were pulled and sent back to the tool and die shop to be refreshed and to have stylistic changers added or subtracted from the basic die set(this was change for changes sake as no one wanted to be caught dead in last years car, it wasn't until Mercedes and VW produced the same car for decades at a time: with people lining up to buy them; that GM noticed they were wasting your money on style and fashion as whether a car has fake louvers or not it has no effect on ride or performance).

1967 is the closest year to the 1968's body lines.

Big Dave
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

All that being said with fenders and the like, what about sheet metal thats generally not seen? Particularly inner fenders, rad support, etc. Would those have changed over the years or would something like that be universal to the entire generation? Thanks so much for the input, I'm learning that there's a lot more attention to detail on these older cars than anything made now.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 02:27 PM

No on the Radiator Support.

Inner Fenders possible, but I don't believe so.

The Hollander Interchange Manual does not list the Inners.

Other than someone jumping in with the exact answer, if you can find the original part number, you could compare it to a '67.

Other than buying the parts piece by piece, your best bet would be to find a good parts car.

Member:

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 04:03 PM

You would need this manual:

43rd Hollander Parts Interchange Manual 1968 1969 70 71 72 Muscle Plymouth Dodge | eBay

which is the 43rd annual edition of the Hollander Interchange (it covers production years 1968 through '72) to find out the interchange number. Every part made has a unique interchange number. If the number is the same it will fit what ever you are trying to install it into. So a power steering gear box off of a Ford Galaxie might fit you Chevy because Ford also used some Saginaw power steering gear boxes though few know it. Hollander verifies the part is unique before assigning it a numbere. If it mostly fits but needs a hole drilled or a piece trimmed off (something that doesn't require a lot of fabrication time or skills), it will share a Hollander Number, but bears a letter that tells you what has to be modified in the foot notes.

You can also look up the part number in Chevrolet's Illustrated Parts manual. The down side to that is Chevrolet recycled part numbers every few decades. So if your part number describes a 1968 inner fender and a 2007 starter motor the starter is probably not going to fit. Chevrolet also assigned a new part number every time an Engineering Change Order was created that modified an existing part (an example is a Standard 1955 SBC head, the following year it got bigger valves and a new number, the chamber changed again, the location of the water temperature sender changed, the combustion chamber volume changed constantly, the head having addition holes on the front for bolting on accessories: all of these changes made for a new part number (and casting number in many cases), but all are interchangeable.

You can buy a copy of the paper parts manual the counter man used to find your Chevy parts that was last printed in 1983 (now reproduced on a CD) for $30 here:

1967-1975 Chevy Illustrated Parts Book on CD-ROM

Even though the part numbers are now all obsolete or recycled it will appear on a lot of your sheet metal parts and it can searched for in the catalog by part number to see what else used the same part.

Big Dave
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. Just ordered the CD version of the manual. I guess this is going to be even more of a pain just to source parts than I thought.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 10:18 AM

When you get the CD, check to see if it lists the Inner Fenders, as the book itself does not.

I would be curious to know.

Thanks.

Member:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fender, fitment, front

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page