66 Body Mount Bushings don't fit - Impala Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

66 Body Mount Bushings don't fit

I have a '66 Impala SS Convertible that I'm finally ready to put the body back on the frame. I originally bought a set of OER rubber bushings, then I bought some Poly bushings later after reading about the pros and cons. Anyway, both sets don't fit right. The Poly set (Prothane 7149) comes with 14 upper bushings, but no instructions. When I measured, positions 1, 2, and 7 (from the assembly manual) have 1 3/8" holes in the frame. Positions 3,4,5, and 6 have holes in the frame that are 1 3/16" diameter. With the Prothane kit, 8 of the upper bushings have boss diameters of 1 3/8" and three of them have boss diameters of 1 1/2". After seeing those, I opened the OER kit, and that kit also had boss diameters that were to large to install in the existing frame holes.
I see that many people have replaced the bushings, but I don't see many people discussing this issue. Does everybody just bore out the holes to make the new bushings fit? Any advice from somebody who's installed a kit on a 65 or 66 Impala, especially using the Prothane kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:44 PM
BA.

I've only installed 2 just below the trunk/rear wheelwell area. They were so rusted out that I had to fabricate some sheetmetal into the shape of the crossmember and weld it in place. I drilled my own hole.

Still need to get to the rest of the bushings, they're sitting on the bench just waiting to bubble up the to-do list.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
body bushings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page