Dash/windshield panel? - Impala Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

2Likes
  • 2 Post By BigDogSS

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Dash/windshield panel?

Hello again. We went to get a new windshield installed yesterday and the installer stopped and would not put the new glass on. It turns out there is some rot.

Is this a panel that is available? Will I need to find a donor and cut it out to use on our car? Can a body man fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 06:19 PM

Do you know how to weld? If you do do you own a welder? For light metal like this a cheap Chinese 110 Volt welder can weld in a patch panel.

To make the patch panel you will need some flat mild steel 16 gauge sheet metal, a hand held tin snip and either a small brake or a big vice to bend the metal. You will also need a grinder to grind the welds down so that the dash is flat when you are done.

I recommend you watch old episodes of PowerBlockTV with Lou Santiago who was the host of Muscle Car on Spike before they got greedy and the owners of the shows walked away from Spike and started their own studio with new names for the same old shows. You actually want to buy the episode CD that has all of the shows on it though you can find a lot of them on the internet still.

https://www.powernationtv.com/episod...hing-the-frame

http://www.powernationtv.com/episode...roker-build-up

https://www.powernationtv.com/episod...mans-goes-gold

This Le Mans and the 1961 Impala that was rebuilt with a 409 (project Red Sled) are excellent example of body work where you don't buy pressed sheet metal from China, you instead patch what Detroit made to cut out rust with patch panels you fabricate yourself. Unlike one week builds seen on some shows these take years to restore with a lot of information that doesn't make the show requiring you to watch all of their project restorations to see all the techniques.

https://www.powernationtv.com/episod...-sled-bodywork

https://www.powernationtv.com/episod...s-the-lead-out

https://www.powernationtv.com/episod...nt-and-emblems

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 10-12-2017 at 06:35 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 07:07 PM

It's not available reproduced anyway. You would need to fix it as Dave has mentioned or cut one out of a parts car. I don't have any good ones here. If you want to try to buy one, try Desert Valley Auto in AZ.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I figure it will be a patch weld job. And no I don’t weld. I might learn on this though. Ugh.

Took the windshield goo off of the rest of the channel. Not good.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 06:14 PM

What year is the car? There is a lower cowl panel available:
1965-67 Impala lower cowl panel
I had the same issue you have. I had my body shop cut out the channel, fab-up a new piece, weld it in and finish and paint it. It looks factory.
While you are doing all of that work and the windshield is out of the way, it is HIGHLY recommended you have the dash painted.
62BillT and gr8dain like this.

1967 Chevrolet Impala SS convertible - Ermine White C1
1967 Chevrolet Impala SS 396 - Marina Blue FF
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogSS View Post
Interesting.

They are always reproducing new stuff.

Hard to keep up with it, lol.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Dash/windshield panel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogSS View Post
I had the same issue you have. I had my body shop cut out the channel, fab-up a new piece, weld it in and finish and paint it. It looks factory.
While you are doing all of that work and the windshield is out of the way, it is HIGHLY recommended you have the dash painted.

Thanks. Close but not the rotted part I need. Well, this part is a little rough too, but hoping to just replace the dash part right now and fix the edge of the cowl.

But I will dig into Year One. I did not know they were doing Impala parts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 09:52 AM

Year one, Classic Chevy, and all of the rest of the places that sell reproduction parts don't make anything. It is up to five factories in China that actually make the sheet metal parts based upon demand for the parts from Canada, America, and South America. The more people ask for these parts, the greater the chance that they will be made to fill demand.

Big Dave
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:10 AM

Actually, CARS, Inc. does actually carry sheet metal pieces produced in the USA.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Well got an estimate from the local Maaco. This place actually has gotten good reviews from people I know for their work on older iron.

Not real happy about the price though. But since I can’t weld I am a little bit screwed.

The estimate says they have to remove the fenders to get to that part of the dash. They plan on removing the dash. I guess that makes sense to do the work with it out of the car. Ugh. I really did not want to drop $2k plus on the car at this point.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 10:58 AM

Look around and find another body shop that works on older cars and get another estimate.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

It came back from the shop today. Looks pretty good to me. I will see how well the windshield fits in it when they come to install it after Christmas.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 08:09 PM

Give it the refrigerator magnet test before you seal it up. Your body shop might have a great sculptor on their payroll, not necessarily a great body man. Better safe than sorry.

Big Dave
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Give it the refrigerator magnet test before you seal it up. Your body shop might have a great sculptor on their payroll, not necessarily a great body man. Better safe than sorry.

Big Dave

Good point. Will do that.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

New windshield installed. Hope to go for an inspection soon.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 08:53 AM

Wow... I have the EXACT same issue on my 65. I'm curious about how much I'm looking at spending to get a body shop to do the same. That being said, reputable body shops seem few and far between where I live which is a bummer.

I really do wish i knew how to weld.

I'm super pumped for you to see that this can be done and it won't be such a science project to get done.

Thanks!

MB

'65 Impala SS
'71 Super Beetle
2011 Dodge 2500 6.7L Cummins
2013 GMC Acadia
2014 Corvette Stingray
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetysoc View Post
Wow... I have the EXACT same issue on my 65. I'm curious about how much I'm looking at spending to get a body shop to do the same. That being said, reputable body shops seem few and far between where I live which is a bummer.

I really do wish i knew how to weld.

I'm super pumped for you to see that this can be done and it won't be such a science project to get done.

Thanks!

MB

I hope yours is not as bad as ours.

Since the part is not readily available and I don’t have any boneyards around me with a donor, I went with the body shop. When drilling the holes for the trim clips, I noticed that a bit of mud was used. Confirming the magnet test. But I was not shocked nor too upset. It works and it looks good. I am on to fix other things now. Hopefully it warms up a bit soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page