Trunk Gutters - Impala Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Big Dave

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Trunk Gutters

I'm looking for a resource for 68 fastback gutter metal.

I realize a direct fit probably isn't gona happen but if someone has some ideas of metal from other cars I can use that would be very helpful.

I am especially concerned with the radius corners

Thanks in advance to any assistance any of you can provide

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 09:13 AM

Since there are no reproduction parts you will have to first cut out a small section. Then cut from flat 16 gage sheet metal a three to six inch peice (needs a shear), bend it on a hand brake, then using a shrinker/expander curve the bent piece of metal to fit by trimming your new part to match the size of what you cut out. Then weld your new piece in place of what you cut out and move over another three inches or so and repeat.

Lou Santiago used to teach basic sheet metal repair on Power Nation TV Muscle Cars years ago and had a complete rebuild on a DVD of a 1965 Pontiac LeMans that is in the same shape as your car. He repaired and restored the body with only one purchased part (a tail panel off a GTO that he cut up for patch panels to fix the LeMans since the tail lights were different). Couldn't find that $27 training video on line.

Lou Santiago demonstrated the use of the English Wheel, lead bean bag and leather hammer, Hammer and Dolly, shear, hand brake, MIG welding, grinding and seam filling, expander and shrinker to curve flat steel shapes, everything you needed to know to do body work. He can be seen doing the same on line at his site:

https://www.lousantiago.com/

Big Dave
BA. likes this.

Last edited by Big Dave; 09-01-2018 at 10:11 PM. Reason: spleling
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a ton Dave it's been along time but I've seen Lou' s muscle car episode's. I'll look for them to purchase.

I was hoping for the strait runs I could use camero or Chevelle gutters of the same year to replace the rotted spots or if there is another car with the same radius lower corners to use.

There is another older guys that does goodmark videos and other stuff. He rebuilt a rare convertible chevelle using factory methods. If you know to whom I'm referring can I get his name?
Thanks!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Hey good news to anyone who wants to watch old muscle car shows.. I have a roku streamer and power nation has a app on it. Along with all the 1st 8 seasons of muscle car it's has trucks Detroit muscle power nation 4x4 full meal deal.

Fyi to all you car crazy people

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page