1967 Impala rust repair estimate - Impala Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

1967 Impala rust repair estimate

I was wondering on my '67 a ball park estimate on rust repair. Around here, it's about $80 dollers an hour for body work and my car needs quite a bit of it. I need both front fenders cut and repaired about a foot up on the area behind the wheel. I also need both back quarter panels repaired from the bottom in front of the tire all the way to the rear bumper but only along the bottom of it, not anymore than an inch up the body. If someone could give me just a very rough estimate on how much it might be, that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 12:01 AM

You need to see if the body shop can quote you a flat rate ($80 bucks and hour is very reasonable, but it can not be open ended on the number of hours to complete the job).

There were several flat rate books published (the amount of time it would take a trained tech with the proper tools to complete the repair) to fix any and all parts of your car. They list a job as a general quote with modification to the flat rate time to add or remove and replace specific parts found on your particular car. You may have to go to a public library to find these old books published by Chilton-Nichols (mine only go back as far as 1973). Another issue is you may have to negotiate a contract to specify a number of hours as finding a trained tech who worked on your car when new is going to be difficult as most have retired or died with a flat file in their hands. Things like working lead is almost a lost art today since the factory hasn't used lead on body panels in over thirty years.

If they can not give you a flat rate them you might as well give them the keys to your house.

Big Dave
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 10:41 AM

It greatly depends on the quality of work done, and what they find when they tear into it. It could be worse than it first appears. It's impossible to give you an estimate.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 08:51 PM

Anything you can do yourself will save you money.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 10:56 AM

I can say that the way to save money is to scour the desert southwest (Southern California, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, and the big bend area of Texas) for your car project. A rust free car is cheaper to buy and restore than a near perfect car that is in show room condition as far down as the belt line but is a ball of rust below that point. The nice but rusty car becomes the parts car for the glass, trim and interior parts that are going to be trashed by the sun in the desert.

Body work and paint is your single greatest expense, and will cost more than a BBC hemi mountain crate motor from Sonny Leonard if the car is all rusted out to start with.

Big Dave
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestion's guys, I am actually taking my car to get it looked at tomorrow at this body shop next to where I work so I can keep an eye on it, so wish me luck!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 03:08 AM

I'm doing mine myself. It's tedious yet rewarding to see what I had done. Lots of rust restorer after sandpaper pads but everyone has their own timetable to get their cars rebuilt.

Frame up restoration of 1967 Impala in progress
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 05:28 AM

I do restos for a living. Its hard to quote the work you want done. If its straight forward i would say 4 to six hours per repair if you used rust repair sections. A bit more if your body man makes them. Its rewarding to do it yourself but boy you can make a mess if you really dont know what you are doing.
I often let my customers help just so they can see how labour intensive body work is. It makes it a lot easier when it comes time for progress payments.
Maybe the panel shop might let you do some of the menial stuff on your car to save you a few dollars.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

So, I took my car to the shop and I have good and bad news. The bad news is that it will be 2 months until my car can get in there to be worked on. The good news is that it will be around $4500 for all the body work and a mid grade black paint job. He's also charging us $50 an hour because we work right next door. From all the guys around there, they've said he does a great job very little bondo used and what not. So I think $4500 is a modest price for all that needs to be done. And at what David said, he is letting me help some so I can lower the price so that's a good thing.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 11:50 AM

$4500 for all the bodywork and a decent paint job sounds pretty cheap to me. 2 months wait isn't bad at all if they do decent work.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 06:47 AM

Sounds real cheap. Good luck with it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 04:59 PM

I was going to say you are better off buying another car, but at $4500
I'd go for it.

That's what a paint job costs.....keep a close eye on their progress for it
can drag out.

Donnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page