67-68 doors and hinges - Impala Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

67-68 doors and hinges

Why on God's green earth would GM change the door hinges from 67 to 68? I found some decent doors on a 68 sedan for my 67 wagon and today went to change the right rear so i could button up my quarter panel job and wouldn't you know it they changed. Seems so odd. Upper is easily a swap job. The bottom only seems to have one common bolt hole. So now to use my 67 hinge i will have to section part of the original door and weld it in the 68. 68 uses sheet metal hinges and 67 uses cast. Also the front doors are different as well in the hinge department and in the area where the cowl screen is. I believe that 68 the hood went all the way to the windshield and 67 had a cowl screen leaving about a 1/4 difference (short on 68 and longer on 67) just above the top belt line. Sorry for the rant but if someone else attempts this job be ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 08:49 PM

Try putting the rear doors from a 65 impala 4 door post car on a 65 impala 4 door wagon. Wont work.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Really? I still have to change the window frames on mine to make em work. What is the big difference on 65 post to wagon? Just curious, as im always doing something like this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 09:52 PM

I think you will find they didn't change the hinges from year to year, it is just that they are different between sedans and wagons (and likely coupes).

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
I think you will find they didn't change the hinges from year to year, it is just that they are different between sedans and wagons (and likely coupes).
That maybe the case but it really doesn't make sense to me why. The back door is the exact same door. Why change from sedan to wagon? They weight the same. The b pillar can't be that different. I personally think they cut pennies from 67 to 68 with sheetmetal hinges and thus on the bottom where the spring mech is had to add another bolt on the door side of the hinge to support the force on it that the cast version handled better. Aside from the window frame being different due to the roof line they're the exact same. I'll have to find another 67 sedan or 68 wagon to find out. Anyone got 68 wagon with cast hinges or 67 four door post car with stamped metal hinges?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 08:26 AM

I also have heard that the Door Hinges on a '68 changed from '67.

I have heard that the reason why was some kind of safety improvement.

Bill
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62BillT View Post
I also have heard that the Door Hinges on a '68 changed from '67.

I have heard that the reason why was some kind of safety improvement.

Bill
Thanks Bill, that at least makes some sense as to why GM would retool something like that. I just have to decided to use the skin from the sedan on my door or cut and weld the old bottom hinge point from oe door to the 68 door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page