68 fastback vinyl top, Swiss cheese roof ideas? - Impala Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

68 fastback vinyl top, Swiss cheese roof ideas?

Ok my car originally had a vinyl top,which I believe was one of the worst trend the automotive industry went through. Either way as we all know this panel is not available aftermarket. And welding on the roof will more than likely cause some major war page.any ideas on how to get these holes repaired,without replacing the front half of the roof? Body filler isnt gonna do it on this one. I am fully competent to do all of the rest of what my car needs. But a body man I am not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 12:48 PM

Lou Santiago took a car with a similar problem and repaired it wita series of one or two inch patches. Cut out the old with a cutting wheel and hand form the patch to match the roof contour with a hammer and a lead shot bag then weld a spot at a time until it was fully welded in place. Grind it down flat and repeat about three hundred times. It turned out great; a solid metal roof smooth and concours finished when painted.

Big Dave
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave, that is pretty well what I was leaning toward, I just wanted to have it said by others without mentioning it myself . I won't have to do the whole roof.just a few places about ten inches back from the windshields. Would you suggest mig or tig ? I have Both

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 02:02 PM

TIG is the better of the two processes as you can control the heat more precisely with the foot pedal.

Big Dave
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 04:57 PM
BA.

Would you have a better end-product by cutting off the roof from a junkyard-doner? (that was the case for my 69 Camaro with vinyl roof with a crap-ton of heavy pitting.)

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

Last edited by BA.; 07-06-2013 at 08:01 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 05:20 PM

If you could transport it without warping it I agree. I would cut it off at the base of the A and Sail panels (destroying two quarter panels in the process and then keep it up right while you drag it home on a flat bed trailer. If you bought the whole car as a parts car you could swap it as a smaller piece and salvage the quarter panels because you would not have to worry about transporting a flimsy piece of metal.

Big Dave
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 05:33 PM

We need to see pics before suggesting appropriate repair methods. On my 71, there were simply a few pinholes at the bottom of the back window where the top was. Cleaned up the metal, MIG'd the holes, bodyworked, and finished. Anything can be patched by someone that knows what they are doing. Complete roof replacement is certainly possible, but may not actually be needed.

Post pics.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Ok well I have a 67 fastback parts car I bought and the roof is perfect. Is the roof panel the same between the two years? I know lots of parts interchange between the two, but not sure if the roof is one. The 67 quarters are shot anyhow.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

I bought the 67 really just to save it from the crusher. I have what I need for my 68 without it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

I feel like quite an idiot for not thinking of that first, but I keep the 67 at a friend shop across town and I totally forgot I had it.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Impala bobs has the windshield listed for 65-68, I believe it might work
But can't get the 2 cars side by side. The 67 is in a lot where we have it about 5 rows deep with other non operative vehicles
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Anybody know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
rusty roof repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page