Another Newb - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Talking Another Newb

Hello Everyone!

Stumbled onto this cool site. Always loved Impala's, as my grandfather always drove them. We had 64, 68, 71-73 Impalas/Caprices in the family as daily drivers.

I don't have an Impala currently. I did own a 1977 Impala coupe at one time. Absolutely loved the car. Painted it one summer, but it got rearended about 3 months after that. Would like to get another one like it some day.

I do have a nice collection of engine parts in my spare parts bin that I hope to assemble sometime. The block is a 3970010 fresh from the machine shop, some 1.94" intake valve heads, a mild camshaft, 1968 cast iron Corvette intake, a fresh crank, a pile of nice Quadrajets (my favorite carb), and a nice HEI. I also have some new pistons, reconditioned rods, lifters and a timing chain set soaking in a pail of oil and an oil pump. Currently, between working, house fixing and lawn maintanance I'm too busy. I'm sure a lot of you guys can relate.

Looking forward to chatting with y'all.

Regards,

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:39 PM

Welcome to the Team Rob!

Was your '77 one of those few that had the squared off windows like the Monte Carlo Aero Coupe in the rear instead of a curved one?

The '77 was a one year orphan as with most first year cars the bean counters got after the designers and engineers to find a way of making it cheaper so they differ from the following years cars in the same series.

Big Dave

Big Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Dave,

Thanks!

I have to say that I looked at photos of quite a few 77 coupes today and the rear windows all looked the same. All had the bend in the corners, gentle curve in the backside. I liked the look of the rear window, which is one of the reasons I bought the car.

You are right about the bean counters. It was a pretty plain looking car compared to the 1979 Caprices and Impalas that I saw. It was originally the two tone blue with the darker shade on the bottom. When I painted it, I changed it over to just the lighter shade all over.

Did you ever own one?

Rob

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 09:13 PM

I had a 1985 Impala (last year for the Impala name plate) and a 1989 Caprice which are basically the same car. That was the longest running B-model series made; it was in production from 1977-'90 without a lot of changes. I liked it because it was about the same size and weight as the early 70 series Chevelles, but was totally dismissed as being any kind of a performance car. Totally invisible to both cops and the public which thought of them as only a taxi cab.

Put a big block under the hood and steep gears in the rear and bolt on some sticky tires and you can stand one on it's back bumper.

Big Dave
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I had a 1985 Impala (last year for the Impala name plate) and a 1989 Caprice which are basically the same car. That was the longest running B-model series made; it was in production from 1977-'90 without a lot of changes. I liked it because it was about the same size and weight as the early 70 series Chevelles, but was totally dismissed as being any kind of a performance car. Totally invisible to both cops and the public which thought of them as only a taxi cab.

Put a big block under the hood and steep gears in the rear and bolt on some sticky tires and you can stand one on it's back bumper.

Big Dave
Sounds like your '85 & 89 were a lot of fun. I hear you on the "nothing to see here" effect of the Impala. See you in the forums!

Rob
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 07:54 AM

Welcome Rob, If your looking for a older Impala, I recomend you look South and West for the most rust free car you can find.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Dadstoy,

Thank you.

Yes. Quite right on the SW. I do have a 1967 Chevelle that I picked up in AZ. Hope to get an Impala/Caprice as well.

See you in the forums.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 06:46 AM

Looking back in history I have never owned a newer Impala. I have owned three 64's each one was red red with 327 and 4 speed and I still have the third one. Welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page