Came for a 1961 Sport Four Door Hardtop - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Came for a 1961 Sport Four Door Hardtop

My name is Adriel and my Oma bought a 1961 Chevrolet Impala sport four door hardtop in about 1962. In about 1990 she stopped driving it and left it parked in the garage where it had spent most of its life. This is based on the extensive amount of receipts which we found some today (others put somewhere too safe by Dad) Now for at least six years Oma and I have been trying to get her sold. It is a bit of a shame she can't stay in the family, but time to get her into more capable and willing hands.

A few years ago a mobile mechanic and I did a lot of work and got her running. However, since it has sat for most of this time, having trouble getting it going so it can be sold as running. The issue is not getting enough or any fuel to the carburetor. Is this the right path?

Second, Oma is now thinking it be best to use an auction house since time is of the essence and I am shortly going to be leaving for my home in Arizona. How does one find a decent one? What is reasonable? Any additional thoughts?

Anyone located in East San Diego County?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1162.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	6474   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1164.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	6482   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1167.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	6490   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1177.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	6498  

Last edited by Adriel; 05-17-2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Forgot the candy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 06:55 PM

Welcome to the Team Adriel!

Auction prices are determined by the bidders, not the sellers. With some auction houses you can set a reserve, but you will pay for the privilege if it doesn't sell to cover their time and effort to sell it.

As to price I have no idea as to it's value. Running is not as important as the body's condition. Restorers want a two door hard top body that is as close to rust free as they can get. Four doors do not fetch as high a price though a four door hard top is much more popular than a four door sedan.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 08:19 AM

Shoot some pics of the body here if you would like to sell it or get advise.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the replies!

Somehow didn't realize one needs to check two boxes to get notifications. Was wondering why I got no replies... So, thus why late, but hopefully not too late!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Welcome to the Team Adriel!

Auction prices are determined by the bidders, not the sellers. With some auction houses you can set a reserve, but you will pay for the privilege if it doesn't sell to cover their time and effort to sell it.

As to price I have no idea as to it's value. Running is not as important as the body's condition. Restorers want a two door hard top body that is as close to rust free as they can get. Four doors do not fetch as high a price though a four door hard top is much more popular than a four door sedan.

Big Dave
Thank you Big Dave!

That actually is reassuring, as prevents issues of not getting sold and inflated ideas of the vehicles value.

I understand that for some reason two doors are a craze. But, how many then are there of four doors due to them getting scrapped? I have never seen another four door sport hardtop for sale and been looking for five years. To me a four door should be considered rare, especially the sport, because of this. It be perfect for a person who wanted to take his/her family with them as two doors are a pain. literally, especially with little ones. Glad to know with a sport this might have more validity and more chance for getting the Impala into good care! For me, it isn't about the money, but getting another classic plying the roads!

The appraiser who was of the vehicle preservation group who stole a old ladies $100 and ran, said it makes a huge difference. Why did he lie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txbobcat View Post
Shoot some pics of the body here if you would like to sell it or get advise.
The garage is too much of a mess... What I can tell you is the roof and some of the lower will need touch up. Paint is original and does look decent, except the roof and where the dust storm got her. There is the usual door rust in both fronts, but the left is worse and has a couple pin holes. If it were me, I just strip the paint, convert the rust, and lead it smooth. There is some parking lot rash, especially the rear right corner where someone backed into and slide along the body getting out of the stall back in about '65. Mostly trim though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page