cowl hoods - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

cowl hoods

does anyone actually make a cowl induction 2" hood for 65 impala as all the ones I see online are far from correct in design...the problem is that they all look like Camaro hoods. The Impala hood should have a 1/2" flat raised profile running the entire hood....not just at the nose to blend into a sharp peak like the Camaros. I don't get it and don't understand how they see these as factory appearance...how could they miss such an important and obvious detail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 05:07 PM

Welcome to the Team!

An Impala never had a cowl hood. Ever.

What you are describing is the ultra rare (only a few dozen made) 427 SS Impala which was a one of a kind, custom, made factory hot rod. They were special order cars, cost an arm and leg when new, and now fetch small fortune when they are sold at high end auctions. I do not believe you will be able to easily talk an owner of an all original Impala SS 427 out of his hood to put on your car.

http://www.impalass427.com/1968_Photo_Gallery.htm

As you can see these hot rods were made for only three years and after that the factories attention turned to the muscle car wars with relation to the smaller more popular Camaro SS and Chevelle SS cars that were also factory built turn key race cars in the sixties.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

mistaken cowl

Sorry, but I'm not talking about the rare one even if it exists! I'm just referring to the centre hood profile....to look correct the cowl hood, be it a whole hood or just a scoop itself should have about a 1/2" flat profile not a peaked one like all the aftermarket ones (Camaro)...they put the flat portion on the front portion of hood and then taper it into the sharp peak about4-5 inches back....where is the attention to detail ....to look like any impala hood the flat peak should run the entire hood just short of the back by windshield. I guess I should look into developing one my self....I really didn't think I'd be the only one that has had this problem or noticed this flaw. I'll just keep looking or make my own!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 09:49 PM

It is easy to do. My cousins built Morgan yachts in Oldsmar, FL so he had all of the fiberglass resin and chop and glass with different weaves you could imagine. He helped me make my own molds for my hood, fenders, and inner fenders, trunk, and bumpers since no one made these parts for a 1977-'90 B-body. I made an outer skin for the hood and the inner braces (since I wasn't using my old parts any more I just took them apart by cutting the spot welds). I then was able to build up the hood to be as strong, well to stay on without being blown off and still save a third of the weight. Inner fenders were so thin they were translucent. Outer fenders were thicker on top and where they mounted but thinner elsewhere.

I could have molded in any hood scoop or bulge I wanted since it is easier to modify a plaster mold than sheet metal, but I wanted a light weight flat hood. Things like holes where the spot welds were left dimples sticking up that a three inch Scotch Bright pad on an air grinder removed in seconds. getting the surface smooth was easy since you could rotate the fixture holding the mold in three dimensions so that the area you were working on was always level.

In retrospect without the shop equipment that my cousins owned it would be more difficult but he made all of his own tools and fixtures by welding together pipe frames using one inch bearings to allow it to rotate in any axis. He used three quarter inch sheets of ply wood with two by four or two by six wood as a skeleton for backing of the molds to keep it from cracking while you worked on it. All of this you could do at home with enough room. The huge shop and twenty ton overhead crane where a plus on moving things around to shoot chop on top of the gel coat but ladders and maybe a scaffold could do the same in your garage.

These were one of one pulls so once I got a part that worked I allowed him to trash the plaster and reuse the backing of the molds for another project we worked on involving a Ford Econoline cab and a White truck chassis to build an almost all fiberglass camper with a lot of Morgan Yacht interior parts. We built three but they didn't sell well enough to cover production costs, that and he was deported back to Canada as an illegal alien stealing jobs from Americans; even though his shop employed over twenty people who lost their jobs when the business was closed down.

I learned a lot doing that, but I am still no body man. I thought of it as building a full scale model kit. And like my 1/24th inch scale polystyrene cousins I still had runs in the paint.

Big Dave
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 08:24 PM

I have a Glasstec cowl hood on my 65 wagon. No its not correct, but its as close as you can buy. Ive seen a couple good home made metal hoods, but Im not that good at bodywork.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

another wagon fan

Mine too is a wagon! I know what you mean and just cant understand why they have overlooked this detail..like I said maybe I'll design my own to show them what they should look like...who knows, maybe there is a market for them..I know I want one!...lol!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-1512.12.33.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	6545   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-08-2516.17.28.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	6553  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page