I introduce me and my 68 imp convertible - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

I introduce me and my 68 imp convertible

Hello, I am Hannes from Vienna / Austria / Europe and I am just about to build up my 1968 Impala SS427 clone.

Car ron more than nice when I have bought it but soon it had some rust problems and while I restored It I had some inspiration about a SS427 clone with brute and modern technic under the bonnet (soon I should realize that the small letters SS427 cost a treasure).

As for the conversion to the SS427 clone, I was hunting the following parts for over 3 years:

SS427 Domed hood with cowl insert (not found for normal money, but I changed my opinion and will make a fiberglass imitate)

SS427 Fender Gills

SS427 Emblems (Fender emblem, front grill embem, steering wheel emblem, trunk emblem, dash emblem and so on, I have over 1200$ in the emblems alone)

SS427 Tach gauge cluster

SS427 double ringed taillights

SS427 Deluxe Steering wheel in bright red with the original SS427 steering wheel emblem

SS Z-03 Intererior (will be done in bright red real leather)

Caprice Hideaway headlight setup (I just work on it because I want to convert it to electric actuators)

Caprice Woodgrain instrument cluster bezel and dash molding (not stock SS427 but I wanted to add all what was nice that year)

Caprice Cornering lights

AS for the drive train I have bought a 454 short block that is bored, stroked and sleeved to 540cid.
It is going to be with Dart 320 alu-heads, a roller cam, I think with a Electromotive EFI and a twin 76mm (or bigger) Turbo setup.

To avoid detonation I build a water to air aftercooler intake (like the units from SuperChiller) out of a blower intake.

The performance I am after is around 1000hp at 6-9 PSI of boost what should be engough for 3,5 sec 0-60 time.

I have bought a 12 bolt posi-traction but it is lost buy the shipping and now I think a custom made 9" will handle 1000HP better and will go a with 4L80E 4-speed overdrive tranny.

I can tell much much more about the tech section when I post because this is only the introduction

I was planning to go with 20/22 American Racing Torque Thrust II but my friend and advisor told me that my performance will only result in white smoke if I go with that kind of wheels or actually tires.

By now I think I go with only 18┬┤s and therefore with more tire sidewall-height. Probably I will run Mickey Tompson ET Drag Radials to have some traction.
Altough, I saw some soft comp. street radials now also in 20", maybe that is my diameter, we will see.

I am still after a good book how to improve a 4-link rear suspension reagarding traction.

By now I just cannot remember all but it is much more I working for that car like an computer controlled airride system.

The car will be white with black SS-stripes as you can see in the pics I have made with photoshop for a imagination how it will looks after finishing the project but havent decided yet.

Thanks Hannes_Slanec
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68.SS427.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	273   Click image for larger version

Name:	68_SS427 ss.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	274   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA010005.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	275  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 09:40 PM

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 12:48 AM

Cool

Welcome Hannes.

It sounds awesome - Good Luck Sir

1965 Impala (part Corvette)
1974 Nova (project in waiting)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 07:20 AM

Your plans all sound good. Some of the parts that your looking for are hard to find here. The pictures all look good except I personaly don't care for racing stripes because they never had them originally.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Thank for the words, members

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Your plans all sound good. Some of the parts that your looking for are hard to find here. The pictures all look good except I personaly don't care for racing stripes because they never had them originally.
That is the point, the caprice woodgrain interior is also not stock for that car as well as the rims but I want to give the car a unique style.

By the way, every SS-car was availeable with SS-Stripes except the Impala, I dont see why.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 11:55 AM

Wow that's sweet. Nice Photoshops'. Gotta love the hide-aways. There are a pair of used SS427 fender gills on eBay going for $1,200 right now and there are still 4 days left! Saw a hood go for $1,500 weeks ago, again used. That SS427 stuff is some of the rarest you'll find at swaps and always demanding top dollar. Good luck with your build- keep us posted with pictures if you can.

Welcome to the site. Another "out of towner" joins the board. I'll bet your Impala will get some looks in Vienna.

-Scott
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 07:12 PM

Welcome to the Team Hannes!

A clone of an old car can be a pain running down missing parts.

Big Dave
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 07:14 PM

welcome!

Good, Fast, Cheap, but you can only pick two!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:18 PM

Welcome to the site, Nice looking ride.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968 Caprice 396 View Post
Wow that's sweet. Nice Photoshops'. Gotta love the hide-aways. There are a pair of used SS427 fender gills on eBay going for $1,200 right now and there are still 4 days left! Saw a hood go for $1,500 weeks ago, again used. That SS427 stuff is some of the rarest you'll find at swaps and always demanding top dollar. Good luck with your build- keep us posted with pictures if you can.

Welcome to the site. Another "out of towner" joins the board. I'll bet your Impala will get some looks in Vienna.

-Scott
Thanks all members, seems to be a real nice forum and I know a lot of.

Yes the old us yachts making people stunning in Vienna, I have a rare 71┬┤Electra that is heavily optioned too.

As for the hood, I did not see it but the eBay servers got problems that days, you always come to the eBay-shops, that sucks. I wrote a mail to eBay and they told me they work on it, it is 2 weeks ago

But i would like to go with a fiber flip front, a friend of mine from UK is building an 68 Impala drag car

(http://www.neveragainracing.co.uk/19...r-project.html)

and fabricated one, he also got an SS427 clone, so my hope is that he can make a SS427 flipfront for me

I will post my first question now but I think not in the introduction forum.

It is about useing boxed style oil pans and removing crossmebers therefor.

Look for it and come in

Thanks again for the nice opening

Hannes
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 03:12 PM

Cool site. I've stumbled across pictures of that Impala before it had the glass nose.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 05:33 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to shopking68
Welcome!

Nice write up and your car will be badass when its done!

Check out my build in the restoration corner, I think we will have 2 of the baddest 68s around

1966 Caprice
1968 Impala (Frame Off Project)
2001 Tahoe LT
1972 Chevy C10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page