Hello from Sacramento, Just scored a 64 SS - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Hello from Sacramento, Just scored a 64 SS

Hello All,
I recently sold my 1968 327 camaro and just today purchased my 1964 SS. I take everything the seller told me with a grain of salt since there was no documentation that came with the vehicle. But I was told that he bought it from the original owners that purchased it in 1963 from Merced CA where it spent its entire life in the Central Valley babied and garaged. I do plan on trying to make contact with who I believe to be the original owners in order to get the full story on this beauty. But for now what I do know is, it has:

300 HP 327
powerglide Transmission
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Factory AC
Power Windows
Factory Dual Exhaust
Tilt Steering Column
Push Button am radio with rear antenna

The issues that I have discovered at the moment are:

Brakes are spongy and pedal goes almost to the floor
Noise when brake pedal is pushed, possibly rusty spring
Speedometer and odometer is inoperable
Passenger side sun visor doesnt stay securely in bracket / falls out
Rear power windows sluggish and very slow / sometimes stopping midway
Rear view mirror is loose and doesnt stay in position
Side view mirror is loose and doesnt stay in position
There is a bit of pitting on the chrome on rear bumper
Climate controls are hard to slide and Heater/Air Cond slider stuck down in Air Cond position
Intermittent loud "Squeal" Noise at highway speeds / sounds like a loose or worn belt
I believe its the wrong battery for the car / to tall and I believe it is facing the wrong direction
There is a small roughly 1/8" chip in paint on top of front passenger side fender. maybe a wrench or something dropped on it while someone was working in engine compartment.

Mostly small stuff. Hopefully most of it can get addresses very soon. I drove it 2+ hours from Merced to Sacramento and it cruised like a dream with the AC blowing nice and cool on the 91 degree day. Got lots of rubber neckers and thumbs up along the way! I cant wait for many more cruises and car shows.

If there is anybody in the Sac area that can give me some advice or point me in the direction of some good restoration shops or mechanics hit me up.
Thanks all.

Here is a little eye candy:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 08:26 AM

Your new car looks very nice. Sounds like small stuff to fix. Take the door panels off and put vaseline on the window tracks. I would go thru the brake system from start to finish. New master brakes rubber lines etc. Use PB blaster on the heater controls cables.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 10:55 AM

Welcome to the Team Jon!

Let's go through your laundry list:

Brakes are spongy and pedal goes almost to the floor

Spongy brakes are always due to air in the system. You need to find out the source of that air leak. The usual suspects are a bad wheel cylinder, but it can also be a bad master cylinder. If you replace the master cylinder bench bleed it first to save time and frustration.

Noise when brake pedal is pushed, possibly rusty spring

Spring being rusty won't make a noise, but a part out of alignment or rubbing because it has been modified to fit another purpose can be the source of the noise. Master cylinders have two different length pistons with a different cup in the end to distinguish a power assist from full manual brakes. There area also two different holes in the brake pedal that reflect the added leverage manual brakes require. If the rod is in the wrong hole with a piston with the wrong cup the brake mechanism will be out of alignment and possibly rubbing.

Speedometer and odometer is inoperable.

They both depend upon the speedometer cable turning. You need to unscrew it from the back of the speedometer and check to see if it rotates as the car drives forward. If it doesn't turn up top you need to jack the car up in the air ( a lift is best if you gain access to one) and unscrew the speedometer cable from the transmission. With the rear wheels in the air crank the car up and drop it into gear. If the out put doesn't rotate the plastic gears inside have stripped. If it does your speedometer cable is broken and needs replacement.

To replace the speedometer gears you have to pull the drive shaft and the rear tail housing (which simply un bolts but will require a new gasket to go back together. You can buy gears in plastic or aluminum (light pick-up trucks use metal gears instead of plastic) in any ratio you need (the plastic ones are colored to show the different ratios) on line.

Passenger side sun visor doesnt stay securely in bracket / falls out

Sun visor staying up is evidence of wear. You attempt to tighten the screw that holds it on the rod, and to put a rubber insert (wrap a light rubber band around the rod) to keep it from dropping down or buy a new replacement on line.

Rear power windows sluggish and very slow / sometimes stopping midway

This is probably due to a poor ground connection at the motor or possibly burnt points on the switch that controls them. The motor is permanently lubricated but a shot of WD-40 wouldn't hurt anything.

Rear view mirror is loose and doesnt stay in position

Once again this is evidence that the vehicle has a lot of miles and was shared by more than one driver. Every time the rear view mirror is moved it wears a little. After a while it will have worn to the point that it won't stay put and needs to be replaced. This can be an issue getting a reproduction that even looks like the original never mind having the same quality. Extra effort shopping will fix this issue.

Side view mirror is loose and doesnt stay in position

Same issue as the rear view mirror. The mirrors rely upon friction in a ball and socket joint to stay put. Move them around enough and the friction ridges on the ball wear out to the point that it flops or wobbles in the breeze.

There is a bit of pitting on the chrome on rear bumper

That is due to corrosion. It was obviously left in a garage with the rear end sticking out if the front is new and the back end is weathered.

Climate controls are hard to slide and Heater/Air Cond slider stuck down in Air Cond position

As mentioned the steel cable inside the spiral wound steel sheath is probably rusted. I would use a rust removing lubricant like PB Blaster to attempt to save the cables. If that doesn't work it will require replacing them.

Intermittent loud "Squeal" Noise at highway speeds / sounds like a loose or worn belt

Belts have a natural life expectancy. Yours need replacement. Replace the belts by application not by what you have in hand. They are worn and stretched out. You want a brand new name brand (Daytona, Goodyear, Gates, etc.). You want to verify you get the right belt because there is no guarantee you have the correct belt on the car now. There are four different dimensions that determine a V-belts part number. Get one dimension wrong and even a brand new belt will slip and squeal. Also a lot of V-belts sold at discount auto parts stores are not automotive V-belts. They are fractional horsepower V-belts for lawn mowers or a washing machine. They will not last long driving an A/C compressor that draws in excess of 7 HP to operate.

I believe its the wrong battery for the car / to tall and I believe it is facing the wrong direction

Once again all car batteries are 12 V for the most part but as you have discovered you need one the fits. Every automotive battery sold since before WWII has been produced under a set of rules of standardization put forth by the BCI, or Battery Council International, a governing body that establishes specific size designations and terminal layouts for each new battery offered as original equipment on any car, truck, boat, tractor, motorcycle, or piece of commercial equipment. Battery manufacturers then produce replacement batteries that meet these criteria of height, width, length, terminal arrangement and case modifications that are necessary to facilitate any battery hold down equipment.

Your car should have installed in it a BCI number 26R battery rated at 720 cold cranking Amps.

If you are curious here is the information a salesman had in his pocket in 1964 to sell you your new car.

http://www.oldride.com/library/1964_chevrolet_impala.html

Big Dave

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Wow!! Big Dave, thanks ALOT for the detailed reply!! Really gives me some great starting points and solutions to my issues. It is going to save me so much wasted time chasing my tail on some of these problems.

And much thanks to you as well Txbobcat.

I joined this forum in hopes to find guys like you that I can gain knowledge and get advice from. Hopefully as I learn a few things I can pay it forward and someday help somebody else out.

Thanks again guys.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 11:52 PM

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 08:16 AM

Wow, what a nice car.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks alot guys. Im working out some bugs but I really love this car. It draws alot of attention wherever I go and I never get tired of the compliments and the questions, comments and stories. The car was born two years before me so I especially like talking to old timers who remember back when they used to have one "just like it". She's already part of the family.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 07:14 AM

I guess I would be considered an old guy as I had one back then and a second one later and a third one now. Each one was a red red 327 4 speed. I bought the last one in 95.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txbobcat View Post
I guess I would be considered an old guy as I had one back then and a second one later and a third one now. Each one was a red red 327 4 speed. I bought the last one in 95.

LOL, I guess so Txbobcat. Not sure how old you are but you said it not me.LoL
I was actually referring to this guy who must have been 75 or 80 who approached me at a convenience store. We must have sat there for 45 minutes talking cars.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 06:46 AM

I am not that old. I just got on medicare 2 months ago.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 09:45 AM

that's a very nice looking 64 SS enjoy cheers pacey down under.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page