New member from Australia - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

New member from Australia

Hi my name is Grant Zippel and I live in Adelaide, Sth Australia. I purchased a '65 Impala SS coupe in January this year after I had an accident in my '67 Camaro (an econimical write-off). I bought the Impala off local guy who only imported it 3yrs ago. The car has only done 42,000 miles and is immaculate (although repainted) and drives like it should (like new). It is just a 283 2bl car with powerglide trans, Cameo Beige paint & Saddle interior. The car came with an almost-built 396 (from a '67 Camaro) including everything required from engine mounts, 396 fender badges, dual-snorkel aircleaner, correct exhaust headers & inlet maninfold etc so it's very obvious what I will probably do . Here in Sth Oz we're not allowed to modify LHD vehicles so only factory/dealer options are permitted (don't get me started on this subject as interstate you can modify. This means I cannot fit disc-brakes ).

For 25yrs now I've organized 'cruise nights' for American cars here in Adelaide. We regularly get 300-400 muscle cars, hot rods etc attend. Photos can be seen on my website www.zipsautogallery.net (over 13,000 photos I've taken from any car show I attend (incl USA).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00001.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	7473  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 07:33 AM

I wonder how many people would know if the car was modified and who actually does the checking? For an example I got stopped in my 72 GTO for not wearing a seat belt. Cop says why arent you wearing your seat belt. I said I have it on. He says where is the part that goes over your shoulder. I said back before you were born we didnt have things like that. He said wow I didnt know that. And welcome.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 10:58 AM

Welcome to the Team Grant!

300 to 400 cars at a car show is going to continue to generate more interest. No wonder we get so many new members from down under.

Big Dave

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 09:35 AM
BA.

Welcome Grant!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 04:13 PM

Welcome Grant, from another Aussie Impala owner from Canberra. You guys sure have it bad over there with the modified LHD rules.

Last edited by Ducfat; 08-01-2014 at 04:59 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txbobcat View Post
I wonder how many people would know if the car was modified and who actually does the checking? For an example I got stopped in my 72 GTO for not wearing a seat belt. Cop says why arent you wearing your seat belt. I said I have it on. He says where is the part that goes over your shoulder. I said back before you were born we didnt have things like that. He said wow I didnt know that. And welcome.
Our 'Conditional Registration' (historic) system here is run by local clubs on behalf of the government and we have yearly checks. We don't want to abuse this system as it saves us lots of money on registration fees (and provides us with any 90 days of the year to use the vehicle, just fill out a log book for the day). It's a good system, but if we abuse it and cops who are in the know pull us over it would not go well for the enthusiasts generally. I intend to put on a dual master cylinder (not original option) which would almost definitely be overlooked, and can also fit a power booster (factory option). Thanks for your response.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Welcome to the Team Grant!

300 to 400 cars at a car show is going to continue to generate more interest. No wonder we get so many new members from down under.

Big Dave
Thanks Dave. Yes I get those numbers with using just a mailing list and not advertising to the public or we would get 'hoons' and all sorts showing up. Seems to work very well. I use different locations every time and this keeps it interesting & nobody knows where they will be until several days before when they receive my email (they know the dates well in advance). Cheers.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post
Welcome Grant!
Many thanks Alan.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducfat View Post
Welcome Grant, from another Aussie Impala owner from Canberra. You guys sure have it bad over there with the modified LHD rules.
Matt, you are right re out laws - very frustrating. Are you attending the National Chevrolet Festival in Geelong this October? We and several cars from our club (Chev performance Assoc of SA) are going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page