New member, 1963 Impala SS - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

New member, 1963 Impala SS

Hello all,

My name is Todd Geisler and I've been a member is the sister web site, Chevelles.com for many years now. I drag race a 79 Malibu and am currently working on my dads 1963 Impala SS in which is has owned since new.

A few weeks ago we got the car out of storage in which it's been sitting for the past 29 years. I'm going through the mechanical stuff to get it running and make it safe to drive. We plan to leave the rest right now to preserve it as a survivor for now at least. It does have some rot underneath being it was a daily driver from 63 to 74 and has 95k miles on the odometer.

The car has a 250 hp 327 with a 4 speed, bucket seats and is white with the aqua interior.

Here's the pics of the day we dug it out of dads garage and brought it to my house.

Last edited by DOTracer; 08-04-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

The first job to perform was remove the old gas tank. The pinion seal had been leaking a long time so I scraped the worst of the grime off the center section and housing and stripped the rear down. Center section went in the parts washer while the housing had to be scrubbed in the car. Back together with a new pinion seal, housing and axle gaskets. Then new drum brake shoes, hardware, wheel cylinders, hard lines and flex line. New brake and fuel lines front to back.

The car had a vapor lock issue so I decided to replace the tank, sending unit, insolators and straps as well as a new fuel pump up front.

Dad wanted to put disc brakes on the front so I put the original drums in storage and installed a CPP power disc brake kit.

We sent the radiator out to be recored and use the original tanks & brackets. All new hoses & clamps.

My niece is getting married next summer and asked if I would chauffeur them to the wedding in the Impala. Dad was worried about everyone getting hot in the summer, so I'm now installing a Vintage Air A/C system as well.

Slowly knocking out little tasks as they come up and handling problems along the way. Next step is to finish the A/C install, then fight installing new plug wires (stupid how GM routed them), install a complete new exhaust system, install the Pertronix module in the distributor, prime the oiling system and get ready to bring it back to life.

Hope to have it ready to drive by fall. My intentions were to keep it completely stock, but dad had other ideas so I'm keeping all the stock stuff I took off so it can be put back on some day when I do a frame off restoration.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 07:27 AM

Thats a nice looking car and it sounds like you are doing a good job.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 07:52 AM

I notice the factory tach, built into the dash, I was told 63s with this that, the 327s were 300 horse power engines, maybe I'm wrong..Big Dave could shed some light on this, I notice the 57 plymouth wheel covers, they were very popular in the early 60s...nice car I had 4 of them over the years...good luck with it
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 10:12 AM

I noticed the tach too, but he has a manual transmission. Did you get a tach with a manual transmission, irregardless of the engine?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 11:32 AM

I'm pretty sure that the Tach was also an Option.

But I'm puzzled about the "3-Speed Trans".

Are you sure it is not a 4-Speed ?

Bill
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Typo, didn't see it till it was brought up. 4 speed for sure
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 12:16 PM

Looks like a nice car and good work.

Good luck!
msp177 (Mike)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 01:40 PM

Welcome to the Team Todd!

Tach looks like a Sun or the Dixco equivalent, and I believe back then GM sourced their tachs from Dixco.

As to 300 horse or the 250-275 horsed base motor you can consult Alan Colvin's Chevrolet By the Numbers: 1955-'59 book to see the identifying parts.

http://alancolvin.com/store/for-sale/

The difference between the 250 horse and the 275 horse was the choice of parts that the various assembly plants chose to source. GM had not at the time (1963) settled upon a uniform bill of materials for every part so a motor assembled in Flint could differ from one built in Tannawonda by more than the decal. In the case of the 300 horse it had it's own cam which can be identified by pulling the intake and rotating the motor over until the casting mark shows up.

As this is a survivor and probably has had only a few previous owners so we can assume that it is as Chevy built it. Back in 1963 when I was starting my hot rod career I couldn't afford a 1963 Chevy back then, or the 1955 Chevy two door hard top which I would have much preferred over my 1953 Chevy 150 two door sedan that I did own.

Aside from full motor swaps (Chevy never puts a 409 in a 1953 150 model), and cam swaps, there would be evidence of sawn off exhausts system supplemented with red Cherry Bombs that are all rust colored now, and offer no muffling what so ever. There could also be an Accel Monster Coil and as mentioned a Sun Tach with a set of Stewart -Warner mechanical gauges (Oil pressure, water Temperature, and a 60 Amp meter trio). Curb scrapers, Fuzzy Dice and Frenched, tunneled, cut, or chopped was becoming a lost art as old body men died off or went mad from absorbing too much lead.

Big Dave
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

This is a one owner car, my dad bought it new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page