Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Westminster, MD
The first job to perform was remove the old gas tank. The pinion seal had been leaking a long time so I scraped the worst of the grime off the center section and housing and stripped the rear down. Center section went in the parts washer while the housing had to be scrubbed in the car. Back together with a new pinion seal, housing and axle gaskets. Then new drum brake shoes, hardware, wheel cylinders, hard lines and flex line. New brake and fuel lines front to back.
The car had a vapor lock issue so I decided to replace the tank, sending unit, insolators and straps as well as a new fuel pump up front.
Dad wanted to put disc brakes on the front so I put the original drums in storage and installed a CPP power disc brake kit.
We sent the radiator out to be recored and use the original tanks & brackets. All new hoses & clamps.
My niece is getting married next summer and asked if I would chauffeur them to the wedding in the Impala. Dad was worried about everyone getting hot in the summer, so I'm now installing a Vintage Air A/C system as well.
Slowly knocking out little tasks as they come up and handling problems along the way. Next step is to finish the A/C install, then fight installing new plug wires (stupid how GM routed them), install a complete new exhaust system, install the Pertronix module in the distributor, prime the oiling system and get ready to bring it back to life.
Hope to have it ready to drive by fall. My intentions were to keep it completely stock, but dad had other ideas so I'm keeping all the stock stuff I took off so it can be put back on some day when I do a frame off restoration.