New from DFW '68 Fastback - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

New from DFW '68 Fastback

Hello-

Brand new to this site but not to old Chevy's.

I am freshening a'68 Fastback for a friend that has owned it for 10-15 years and in his family for about 25.

What he said about the car, "it's a '66 with 327 and disc brakes"

What it really is. '68 fastback with a sj 307, 3 on the tree, and drums.

Oh well, he loves the car even if he doesn't know much.

Here's the plan:

Strip the front end sheetmetal, suspension, etc. down to the frame. Paint the front frame, paint the firewall, rebuild the suspension with poly, add disc brakes, freshen the 307 adding a 4bbl and vortec heads. Pretty much go through the whole car to make it a nice driver with good brakes, decent road manners, A/C, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 01:46 PM

Welcome to the Team Ben!

Brakes are fine as is, only danger will come from having other teen aged boys in the car with him. To improve safety rip out back seat and front bench and install a single bucket seat for the driver. Also use solid metal stranded cooper spark plug wires along with maybe a white noise generated to block cell phone reception while in the car.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Welcome to the Team Ben!

Brakes are fine as is, only danger will come from having other teen aged boys in the car with him. To improve safety rip out back seat and front bench and install a single bucket seat for the driver. Also use solid metal stranded cooper spark plug wires along with maybe a white noise generated to block cell phone reception while in the car.

Big Dave
Thanks Dave for the welcome!
You aren't too far off from the truth about teens. Eventually, the car will be for his son. His son is about 11 so he has a bit of time to decide whether he will actually pass it down or not.

At first, I was going to leave the drum brakes and switch to a dual master for added insurance but we went ahead and ordered a 4 wheel, big brake disc kit. Should be here in the next week or so.

My son is also 10 and has been asking if we are going to start building him a car or truck in the next few years as well. I'm thinking a nice C10 with LS power.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyt View Post
Thanks Dave for the welcome!
You aren't too far off from the truth about teens. Eventually, the car will be for his son. His son is about 11 so he has a bit of time to decide whether he will actually pass it down or not.

At first, I was going to leave the drum brakes and switch to a dual master for added insurance but we went ahead and ordered a 4 wheel, big brake disc kit. Should be here in the next week or so.

My son is also 10 and has been asking if we are going to start building him a car or truck in the next few years as well. I'm thinking a nice C10 with LS power.

I know it is a bad word: but a Ford Crown Victoria cop cars are a very excellent kid's first car. They are turtle slow in acceleration (has a 1:1 rear gear I think because it will do 140 mph flat out but it takes two days to reach that speed). They are heavy and extremely well built, They have HD suspension for those that park by ear, and best of all they are dirt cheap being able to buy a well maintained mechanically sound car with brand new tires for well under a grand at auction. (people of far eastern persuasion buy them up by the six pack to convert them into taxi cabs for their newly found nephews named Sing or Patel.) 4200 pound four door car with ice cold air and a 5.0l EFI engine that gets 21 mpg. The price tag is important because I have yet to meet a kid who didn't buy his second car because he wrecked his first car. It just happens. The cop car is survivable.

I am not kidding about those cars being a slug on acceleration. My wife's 305 powered 1989 Caprice police car could blow the doors off it in the quarter, but the Victoria had a better top end that is easily limited by reinstalling the speed limiting governor in the transmission.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page