floor shift linkage 64 impala ss - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

floor shift linkage 64 impala ss

hi.am new was on here last year had trouble getting on site ,so I gave up. figured I would try again and.....how about that... I got on. am sure happy to be here and cannot believe all the help a person in need gets and a lot of knowledge floating around. well I have a question hoping to get a answer , have a 64 impala ss, had the powerglide rebuilt a few years ago by my cousin has his own tranny shop.sat there quite a while. went picked it up and installed it. well after sitting so long now forgot how it goes.... am having problems with the shifter linkage. hooked it up but cannot get into park. will go in other gears but when trying for park will go to reverse and that's it. automatic floor shifts were never my strong points but putting a 4 spd in was a different story. my linkage runs to the top of the doghouse and it seems to hit the floor board. would anyone have any pics of how it should be installed correctly? sure would appreciate the help. thanks kindly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 03:25 PM

Sounds like you are using the wrong transmission mount. Latter model cars (those made after 1972) have a taller tranny mount than older cars. Sounds like your parts supplier gave you the wrong mount so that your tranny sits higher in the back bringing the floor boards closer to the top of the tranny. Just an idea, may have nothing to do with problem. It hard to diagnose over the inter net with out even a picture.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

ok will take pics. thanks

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 07:22 AM

You might try disconnecting the bracket from the tranny then put the shifter in park and reinstall the bracket.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

ok will try. the problem I am having is with linkage. when it is hooked up the linkage will hit the doghouse above the transmission going to shifter. so when I move the shifter linkage is sliding back and forth on doghouse. I replaced the tranny mount with the same height and width so I know my trans is not sitting higher.im thinking the linkage is hooked up wrong. does it hook up from trans to top of selector or bottom of selector running under the bottom? will jack up car today and send pics. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page