New Member Danil, New Orleans, Impala 68 - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

New Member Danil, New Orleans, Impala 68

Hello, my name is Danil. I live in New Orleans.
I have just graduated from the local community college, motor vehicle division.
I have been thinking about a project car for a while.
I month ago i bought 68 Impala Custom Coupe.
I want to build a good functioning car.

My plan is:
Part I.
1. wheel wells, control arms, springs, sway bar- sandblast and paint
2. have steering box rebuilt
3. replace all suspension rubber parts and shocks
4. power brakes, front disc brakes conversion
5. replace brake line and rear drum brakes parts

Part II.

I will post some pictures soon.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 08:06 AM

Good plan #2 you can buy a rebuilt steering box cheap and get one with a quicker turn radius.#3 Replace what is needed. Some aftermarket parts are not as good as original unless you can find nos parts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 10:07 AM

Welcome to the Team Danil!

I would recommend a complete kit from some one like Ecklers :

http://www.lategreatchevy.com/full-s...1969-1970.html

or Energy Suspension's Moog replacement kit:

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...PackageDeal008

with a new upper front control arm shaft:

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...rod=MOOG-K6104

along with all new polyurethane bushings to replace the rotted out rubber ones:

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...PackageDeal029

Just be sure to add all of the optional parts. You will also really need the motor and transmission mounts, as yours were recalled in the first ever safety recall of any product in history.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...mpala-Prothane

Be sure to specify the 1963-69 327 motor mount as you want the early style "short and wide" motor mount that measures 2 5/8 in. between the ears and 1 3/4 in. tall to the center of the through bolt hole part number 3-1120G for black or 3-1120R for red (all of the polyurethane parts are cast or machined out of red or black plastic, you have to pick a color).

If you want to get exotic after that and build road racer like performance for your impala you can find all of the components you need here:

http://www.globalwest.net/1965-70imp...ce.html#paging

Note they will sell you the quick turn steering gear box you need as well as the adjustable Panhard bar you will need if you want to lower your Impala.

This brings up the issue of lowered steering knuckles or lowered springs. Both will drop your car from it's stock ride height (maybe a half to an inch lower than you are now with tired sagging springs that are nearly a half century old). I recommend buying the springs directly from Eaton or Moog by calling up their customer engineer (these are the two companies that GM sourced for the springs originally used on your car; as they are designated OEM suppliers). You will need to have the weight of the car (preferably the four corner weight of the car using portable scales found in the trunk of every DOT officer or the shelf of your local rounddy-round racer) and a truthful (you will have to live with the results) description of how you want the car to handle as well as what ride height you want. They can then custom wind springs for your car. Dropped steering knuckles (spindle raised two inches) are the way to go to preserve your suspension travel, but they can interfere with wide rims as they bring the inner edge of the wheel closer to the suspension parts.

If you do buy lowering shocks you will now need shocks that are valved for the reduced suspension travel that you will you have (you should also retain the stock rubber bumper stops as you will be hitting them much more frequently on bumps and the plastic ones are stiffer. Bilstein can build a custom shock for you as can QA-1 and Ride-Tech. If you retain the stock shocks expect to be hitting and replacing the bump stop a lot if you drive your car much.

Big Dave

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for a comprehensive reply!
I will do the moog replacing kit + the new polyurethane bushings from the energy suspension ( i hope i will figure it out where all the bushings and washeres go, the kit looks massive).

I want to wait with the engine mounts, because i want to buy a wrecked car (1999-2004) from an insurance auction and pull 5.3 or 5.7 GM injected engine with transmission, accessories, wire harness and computer. So, when i have the engine i will start looking for the appropriate engine mounts.

I guess dealing with the springs is better when there is an engine in the car, right?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page