Hello guys - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Hello guys

Good to be here I have a 1965 impala with a Ls swap 5.3 L 327 from a 2004 Silverado tranny is a 4l60e
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

1965 impala Ls swap

Good to be here I have a 1965 impala with a Ls swap 5.3 L 327 from a 2004 Silverado tranny is a 4l60e so I have been searching for a custom dash for the 65 for a nicer gauge cluster display fiberglass custom etc any recommendations on who makes dashes or companys thank you
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 05:37 AM

Albertocolon, hello and welcome! We're happy to have you here. This site is a tremendous resource due to the members, hope you stick around and find it useful. If you ever have any questions, please be sure to reach out.

Chevy Impala http://www.carid.com/chevy-impala-accessories/
Call Toll Free: 800.505.3274 | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 09:43 AM

Welcome to the Team Albert!

Unfortunately I do not think any one makes what you want. The options are to transplant an entire dash out of a similar B-body vehicle only earlier or from a different make in the GM B-model line (Cadillac, Buick, Olds, Pontiac, or Chevrolet all made B-body cars that share the same dimensions).

Here is a list of all B-body cars that you can pick from for a steel dash;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_B_platform

You can also consider the Corvette believe it or not as the Corvette started life as a B-body car that engineers just whacked off the rear seats section from the frame and strengthened it up with braces before dropping a plastic body on top of it. The dash may well transplant but an original steel framed dash will be expensive. The gauge and console section of the dash is reproduced and you can modify your dash to accept them with a gallon or two of resin and king size sheet of fiber glass mat with a few additional sheets of cloth in different weave thread counts.

Further as an alternative to fiberglass there are now available carbon fiber kits that follow the same procedure to mold or lay up parts just that the material is a lot more expensive.

Big Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Big Dave thank you will look into the b body platform thanks
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Hey big Dave I checked it out I like 59 impala dash & the 50s corvette witch year corvette would be a better or do you have a opinion just want to get it right the first time thanks
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 05:56 PM

I would think a 1964-'98 Corvette dash if that is what you want would be your best fit, but it is more jet cockpit than swoopy open air scarf and goggles sports roadster that the 1953-'63 Corvettes were. The Corvettes twin symmetrical bulge with gauges and a grab bar were mirrored in some of the earlier 1959-'64 Impalas with their large diameter open boats wheel. All of these were styling cues that were reinforced with a lot of marketing and advertising hype.

I discovered being so tall that stock dash instrumentation was next to useless. So I got used to making my own instrument cluster extensions that held my mechanical gauges that I mounted above the top of the dash. I used angled bezels that rotated the viewing angle so that I could easily see the gauges (not made in the aftermarket for larger Tach's and Speedometers so I made my own by sawing up coffee cans).

My wife's cousin built Morgan yachts so I had all of the fiberglass I ever needed (my wife's cousin owned the company and I traded some engineering expertise for plastic since expensive sail boats and power yachts were not selling all that fast he was branching out into making RV's based upon a Morgan yacht interior so he needed help setting up a truck chassis). I taught him mechanics and helped teach me to make and pull fiberglass molds.

Big Dave
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 05:25 PM

We have a member here that installed a 59 Impala dash in his 65 Belair. Looked great.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 08:00 PM
BA.

Welcome to the site, sounds like a great combo you have there. Pics needed!!

I'm with Dadstoy, the members car with the swapped 59 dash looked great.

Have you checked out Dakota Digital yet? http://www.dakotadigital.com/

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page