dirty's 62 wagon - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

dirty's 62 wagon

howdy.....

I'm new to the impala craze.....I have a 62 impala wagon project.....looking for advice, help, assistance, praise, parts...etc..... I had a 72 body dropped suburban,,,,saw one some 10 years ago at the del mar good guys show and had to have one....sold it because i saw the cleanest white 62 wagon ever in san diego, ca....i gotta have one...so i got one......now i need help...tell me what you think so far//////it's a rebulit 283/hei dist...bagged on 20"s, all 4 corner cross drilled and slotted disc's, all new steering, brakes,spindles, etc.....needs work...oh and new wire harnesses front and back
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	9889   Click image for larger version

Name:	622.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	9897   Click image for larger version

Name:	6222.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	9905   Click image for larger version

Name:	imp.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	9921  

Last edited by dirtydave; 02-24-2015 at 05:07 PM. Reason: oops
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 07:29 PM

Welcome to the Team Dave!

Probably going to need some white paint. ...

Big Dave
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 10:20 PM
BA.

Love the car, love the updates you mentioned. I'm not feelin' the rims reflect the same vibe though.

Welcome aboard though, keep us appraised of whats goin' on!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 06:55 AM

I am not into flat paint or air bags but I think yours looks pretty good.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

I'm not a huge fan of the flats either....it's just a primer right now....when i bought it , it was 3 different colors....just had tiny lil dents fixed and primered one color......I have a lot of ideas floating in my head on paint/color directions, but i think it should run/stop first.....I DO LOVEEEE BAGS THOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txbobcat View Post
I am not into flat paint or air bags but I think yours looks pretty good.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

thx for the welcome.....probably not gonna go white....longgggg ways away...but probably in the greenish/silver tones.......needing parts and help to put her back together first.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Welcome to the Team Dave!

Probably going to need some white paint. ...

Big Dave
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 11:33 AM

Looks complete to me (Sorry I though that was charcoal grey primer paint at first, forgot about the current fad in painting flat black). What are you missing? A roof rack with chromed spears on the roof? Bigger motor? Looks like a driver now.

Big Dave
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

needs both wire harnesses hooked up, hei dist done and tuned, alternator bracket doesnt line up right.....brakes feed n bleed....rear brake calipers figured out,,(wont roll freely..)....and with no brake pressure, brakes lines not hooked up

Quote:
Looks complete to me (Sorry I though that was charcoal grey primer paint at first, forgot about the current fad in painting flat black). What are you missing? A roof rack with chromed spears on the roof? Bigger motor? Looks like a driver now.

Big Dave
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydave View Post
needs both wire harnesses hooked up, hei dist done and tuned, alternator bracket doesnt line up right.....brakes feed n bleed....rear brake calipers figured out,,(wont roll freely..)....and with no brake pressure, brakes lines not hooked up
As to your wiring needs; I recommend an OEM replacement wiring harness from American Auto Wire (AAW). They can build a direct replacement wiring harness that has a HEI distributor and the terminals on the wire to use a newer one wire alternator to get rid of your mechanical points voltage regulator you have now.

As to your current alternator not lining up with the other V-belt pulleys you have then as you suspect you have the wrong alternator mounts (wrong year, wrong side, wrong water pump: Chevy made a bunch of brackets). Or you have the wrong pulleys mis-matched off of various year vehicles that had different pulleys to line up with different length water pumps. You can attempt to chase down reproduction or original parts to match one specific year (I think in 1962 Chevy still used a generator instead of the more efficient alternator, but they may have changed over in '61; I just can't remember exactly when). Another solution is a matched set of aftermarket brackets and pulleys converting over to a serpentine belt.

Brakes are a major issue. If you have rear disc brakes on the car now; news flash they are not original equipment. What they are; only "the Shadow" knows, and he isn't telling. I would take the car to a reputable mechanic and pay him to sort out that mess or replace everything with known sources of parts. This something you can not mess around with.

Big Dave
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

yeah, the wir harnesses i bought,,,,just need an electrical guy...im dumb with this stuff.....the disc's i bought from cpp.....i think the pads are to thick or something.....and the hei and harness to match is good, has the adaptor just installing and tuning needed the alternator is a problem...been a while since i even looked at it so.....i think it sjust a bracket issue like u said thx BIG DAVE.....appreciate it

Quote:
As to your wiring needs; I recommend an OEM replacement wiring harness from American Auto Wire (AAW). They can build a direct replacement wiring harness that has a HEI distributor and the terminals on the wire to use a newer one wire alternator to get rid of your mechanical points voltage regulator you have now.

As to your current alternator not lining up with the other V-belt pulleys you have then as you suspect you have the wrong alternator mounts (wrong year, wrong side, wrong water pump: Chevy made a bunch of brackets). Or you have the wrong pulleys mis-matched off of various year vehicles that had different pulleys to line up with different length water pumps. You can attempt to chase down reproduction or original parts to match one specific year (I think in 1962 Chevy still used a generator instead of the more efficient alternator, but they may have changed over in '61; I just can't remember exactly when). Another solution is a matched set of aftermarket brackets and pulleys converting over to a serpentine belt.

Brakes are a major issue. If you have rear disc brakes on the car now; news flash they are not original equipment. What they are; only "the Shadow" knows, and he isn't telling. I would take the car to a reputable mechanic and pay him to sort out that mess or replace everything with known sources of parts. This something you can not mess around with.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page