I am new, and my car is old - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

I am new, and my car is old

Lol

Yeah who cares right?

I haven't owned an impala in ten years, and the one I literally just bought and seemed fine, is now semi dead.

Last edited by Madencali; 04-02-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 07:41 AM

Well get out there and fix it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 08:46 AM

I think we are going to need to consult the Great Carnak

or a little better description of your problem to address offering advise on fixing up your old car.

Big Dave

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 09:33 AM
BA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txbobcat View Post
Well get out there and fix it.

Welcome to the site Ethan.
Having your car get sick right after you bought it kind of sucks but I have faith you'll get it on the righteous path.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I think we are going to need to consult the Great Carnak

or a little better description of your problem to address offering advise on fixing up your old car.

Big Dave

This thread was nothing more than a introduction, an attempt at some humor, and I wasn't seeking any technical help in here.

But thank you for your willingness to help

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post

Welcome to the site Ethan.
Having your car get sick right after you bought it kind of sucks but I have faith you'll get it on the righteous path.

I got it going again! The littlest of problems can cause some nice headaches lol. The only thing I can see at the moment is that it needs a radiator flush, and the carb could use a tune. I don't have a lot of time but I should get around to it very soon.

Thanks
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 12:00 PM

Something this old will have some built in problems. First is as gas evaporates it leaves behind a varnish. This varnish build up can reduce the size of the machined interior dimensions inside the metering circuit of the carb. This will result in the wrong mixture of air and fuel to your engine; which is probably what you think of as a bad tune-up. To fix this the carb has to be disassembled and "boiled" in an organic solvent that will dissolve the varnish but not destroy the chemically reactive metal the carb is made out of (an alloy of zinc, tin, lead, and aluminum). Then the cleaned and dry parts are reassembled with new gaskets and small parts that wear out that come in a rebuild kit.

The other problem you will discover is that chemically reactive metal carburetor has chemically reacted with the acidic alcohol and the water it absorbs to corrode the interior of and thoroughly destroy the carburetor all together. Alcohol was introduced into fuel long after the last carburetor was installed on a car back in 1986. The fuel tank (zinc plated mild steel) will corrode as well as the rubber fuel lines made of neoprene rubber dissolving under the attack of alcohol. The paper fuel filter will also dissolve due to the water absorbed by the alcohol. Nothing on your car was ever designed to work with alcohol in the gas tank.

Modern fuel systems are made of stainless steel (tank and fuel lines) with fiberglass or spun stainless steel fibers thinner than a human hair (10 micron filtration) inside the fuel filters to deal with alcohol. Rubber neoprene fuel lines are all lined with Teflon plastic and have a green stripe on the rubber hose. Current carburetor parts built to withstand alcohol are colored green instead of blue or the usual grey color. Holley and new Carter AVS carbs sold under Edelbrock's name are anodized (a different color such as red, black or purple from the usual dichromate golden bronze plating, but it could be any color they want. Or they are painted inside and out with a clear epoxy paint after they buffed the solid aluminum body to a high shine.

There isn't to my knowledge a replacement Rochester 2GC carburetor body that is alcohol proof, but they do sell rebuild kits with green gaskets that are immune to alcohol. You can use a 100 micron sintered bronze strainer in the carb inlet to replace the paper filter. An you can install a 10 micron fiberglass fuel filter in the fuel line to filter all of the fuel if you have an electric fuel pump to push the fuel through the filter at the gas tank and before the carb if you want.

Big Dave
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Lol that is a lot of information. I knew I liked this place! I just don't know if rebuilding it would be a better option than buying new. I could pick up new for about 200 bucks from what I've briefly found online. Of course that is if it's actually new and not refurbished.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

The car I just bought

Edit: not sure why pics are uploading sideways lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	10561  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page