66 Impala SS Console Gauges - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

66 Impala SS Console Gauges

Hello
I am new here so, Hello fellow Impala Enthusiasts,
I was recently lucky enough to purchase a 66 Impala SS 396 conv.
I fell in love with Impalas a few years ago and have been looking for the right one and finally found it.
this car has many factory options except the factory gauge package which I really wanted. the car I purchased has factory console, Turbo 400 and factory ac.
I could use your help/recommendations on finding and installing or having installed a factory gauge. I want to make sure it's done correctly just like it would have left the factory. I see a lot of them for sale on eBay but I want to make sure it's factory correct.
thank you for your help and time
Cheers
Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 08:02 AM

Garage
I added these gauges to my car many years back. You will need to purchase a used set of gauges from some where, they are not being reproduced. Make sure you get the gauge wiring harness and lower dash pads, in your case for an AC car, could be hard to find and expensive. Remove your existing console and bolt your gauges to it. This is of course is after cleaning , painting your gauge package and dying your lower dash pads to match if not the same color, mine where red. I made my own harness for the ammeter and engine water temp sensor, this will not be on a non gauge package car.The vacuum gauge is just rubber hose to the intake manifold and the oil pressure gauge is a plastic or steel line from a pressure port on your engine, mine is from the oil filter area. My gauges are hooked up so that my oil pressure and water temp lights or dummy gauges are still working, so I have both, my personal preference. Not sure if an after market engine harness is available for a factory installed gauge car, maybe Auto wire has one, when I made my own harnesses I went through the bulk head, removed my engine harness, removed the tape, added the wires, re taped and then reinstalled the harness. At the same time I added a wire for HEI ignition, AC, electric choke,tach,700R4 tranny and H4 xenon headlights. A lot of work but its done right. Some one might charge you a lot of money to do this. And your right, these factory gauges are very nice, I love mine. Welcome to the site, a lot of great knowledge here!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Teal 66 Impala 003.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	11082  

Last edited by 6366; 05-09-2015 at 09:09 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply 6366, great job on the gauge package and upgrade goodies'.
I hope to find the right pieces and have mine done soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page