AZ Newbee - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

AZ Newbee

Hello! I am new here. Though housed in Oro Valley - a Tucson suburb - I travel the USA appraising unique, exotic, historic, prestige, hot rod and racing motor vehicles. At this time, my project is to value a 1968 Chevrolet Impala SS427 Sport Coupe. Rather than just take away and then move away, I will be adding to the discourse. I have a drag racing background which -as you might imagine - includes some Chevrolet stories.
Thanks for any help you folks can provide.

Jon Lundberg, ASA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 06:03 PM

Welcome to the Team Jon!

As you know the SS427 as opposed to the Impala SS with a 427 is the COPO dream car of the full size cars. With the introduction of the Camaro and Nova with the option of a big block shoe horned under the hood the demand for a big heavy car with a big block was dropping like a lead balloon. 1969 was the last year for this option but because it was relatively unknown in 1967 the factory sold more SS427's in 1968 than any other year.

Still they are as rare as hens teeth. Question is are you looking for our help in telling you the value? If so there is a dedicated board just for owners of these cars and they are much more knowledgeable about them. Some of our members are not even aware they exist. If you are thinking of buying one, unless it is for $10 K and less for a fully restored one, Caveat Emptor! Check every number for restamping, all documents for forgeries.

Otherwise good luck.

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 05-30-2015 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Spleling Er0rs
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 06:51 PM

Hi Jon, welcome to the site.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Big Dave: Thanks for the welcome and the tune-up. Would you be so kind as to direct me to that SS 427 specialty site (by PM if necessary)? I have a build sheet for the car in question, the numbers do not appear to be altered. That being said, I could use a bit of expert guidance. Thank you.

Jon Lundberg, ASA
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 08:33 PM

Here is one site:

http://www.impalass427.com/

Some good reading:

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/..._feature1.html

Hemming's beside insuring, and publishing magazines on restored collector cars, has a lot of good technical info accessible on their site. One of Hemming VP's is a neighbor and he tried to get me to work as the editor for the mag or at least take photos of cars for write ups, but I won't fly cattle class so it was a non-starter.

Bet most of you think that all of those car mags are all located in SoCal. In fact better than half of them are headquarter and published in Lakeland, FL just twelve miles from my front door. Back then I was picking up another college degree in Fine Arts: Photography from USF so I used to run into several of Petersen Publishing's editorial staff at the local commercial photography lab back in the days of film (at the former Eagle Photography in Tampa). This led to a lot of offers to work for Petersen as well, but with the same restriction on travel I couldn't see working out of a suitcase.

At least I got a bunch of those Petersen mags titled plastic license plates that they bolt onto the front bumper before a photo shoot as a parting gift.

Big Dave
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 09:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
Jon,

I run the 67-69 Impala SS427 registry and can help you. Send me a PM.

Warren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page