Synthetic vs conventional oil - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Synthetic vs conventional oil

Hey everyone, this is my first post here, just picked up a SS427 custom coupe , 1968, and I am wondering if synthetic is alright for an older engine, let me rephrase that . older style engine but fresh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 04:15 PM

Welcome to the Team John!

I really can not offer any advise as I have never felt compelled to pay more than necessary for my motor oil. I have been using petroleum based (refined crude) since 1963 without an issue. I have read that in an older style motor (two piece rear main seal with perimeter valve covers you are more prone to leaks with synthetic, and I have not read anything other than sales hype that would convince me to try it.

Of course I don't own a smart phone nor will you find me on Twitter or Face Book, and I haven't attempted to build a hot rod with EFI as of yet. So you can take my rousing lack of endorsement for what it is worth; free advise.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

synthetic

Hey Big Dave, I had bought a car that had synthetic in the trans , M20, and thought the syncros were shot , change the oil to regular oil and the shifting was fine and it quit leaking.

In the engine , I have heard that the oil pressure can suffer a bit , that is never a good thing !

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 05:58 PM

It should have 70W90 gear lube inside of the Muncie not motor oil. If you can find it 85W140 would be even beter if available. It should list the API rating of GL-4 on the bottle (GL-5 is now out), but as I mentioned for the past fifty years I have been using Valvoline gear lube and I have built (or destroyed depending upon your point of view) a lot of Muncies four speeds. I had to; as I made most of them into crash boxes and a lot of my customers couldn't figure out how to properly shift a crash box, or else they tried to run one on the street.

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 09:15 AM

I have 4 antique cars and I use conventional oil in each of them. The 64 chevy I have owned for 19 years no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page