64 SS in Colorado - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

64 SS in Colorado

Hi Everyone!

My brother has had his 64 Impala SS for years. I hadn't lived near him for along time Over the years he hasn't taken the best care of it and it was lowrider for a while. I moved home to CO a few years ago and now it's time to give it the TLC it deserves. I made a run to Chase, KS yesterday to pick up a complete '64 frame that I'm sure will provide many necessary parts. I haven't had a chance to get his car up on my lift yet but I've got a feeling that frame has been heavily modified for hydraulics, etc, so I figured it might be best to start fresh

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/luwbtwkt0...VutL28CacaIHra

This should be a good project for the 2 of us, he is ready to get to work. I got him the frame and the how to rebuild chevy rearends book for his birthday. I believe it was a rear end issue that caused him to park it in the first place a few years ago, so we'll start there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 09:12 PM

Hey Ron:

Sounds like a great project!! It's nice when family comes together for projects, too.

I bought a video on rebuilding all different kinds of differential's from a company called Technical Video. It covers all kinds of rearends (10 bolt, 12 bolt, ford 9", etc.) I highly recommend it. If I remember right it was around $30.

Brian

1968 Impala SS Fastback 383 stroker
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnfast87 View Post
Hey Ron:

Sounds like a great project!! It's nice when family comes together for projects, too.

I bought a video on rebuilding all different kinds of differential's from a company called Technical Video. It covers all kinds of rearends (10 bolt, 12 bolt, ford 9", etc.) I highly recommend it. If I remember right it was around $30.
Sounds like a good video, I'll have to check on that. I have some for Ford vehicles that are very good from Badshoe Productions

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 12:01 AM

My 64 is not an SS, but you might find my blog on my frame on restoration useful. Lots of pictures that can be helpful. I can offer this advice, use NOS or recondition/rebuilt original parts as much as possible. A lot of reproduction parts just don't fit that good.

http://thecairns.com/Impala

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285

Last edited by dcairns; 08-15-2019 at 04:51 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 12:15 AM

Welcome to the Team Ron!

Sounds like a good shared project.

Big Dave
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcairns View Post
My 64 is not an SS, but you might find my blog on my frame on restoration useful. Lots of pictures that can be helpful. I can offer this advice, use NOS or recondition/rebuilt original parts as much as possible. A lot of reproduction parts just don't fit that good.

http://thecairns.com/Impala
I will sit down and read the entire thing soon. His car is in pretty good shape overall. I just want to swap out the frame and put the stock A Arms springs etc back under it

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page