looking for a 66 impala ss trunk lid - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

looking for a 66 impala ss trunk lid

Im looking for a 66 impala ss trunk lid...........any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 05:51 PM

Welcome to the Team Jose!

I don't have one and you will need to find one off of a used car (parts car). Depending upon what you will need in addition to a trunk lid, will determine the economic justification of a parts car. It is a whole bunch cheaper to buy a parts car than it is to buy all of the parts off of a car and have them shipped to you.

Because there are no new 1966 Impalas being built and the average project takes three or more years to complete you may be able to sell your old parts car after you are done with it for a fair return on the price even after subtracting what you would have paid for all of the parts removed. Some successful builds require horse trading parts with others if you have something a member with a part you want needs it.

Big Dave
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 08:05 PM

Your gonna have to hunt for one on Craigslist, or buy a fiberglass one. I can't remember exactly I saw it but, I know they make a fiberglass trunk lid.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 08:37 AM

Impala 2-Dr HT and Impala SS is the same Trunk Lid, but nothing else interchanges in '66.

They are becoming very hard to find, but you are in better part of the country to locate a good one.

Bill

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62BillT View Post
Impala 2-Dr HT and Impala SS is the same Trunk Lid, but nothing else interchanges in '66.

They are becoming very hard to find, but you are in better part of the country to locate a good one.

Bill

What do you mean nothing else interchanges?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 08:26 AM

He means the body lines are different (creases and peaks). Back in the sixties cars were changed annually just so you could tell your brand new car from the Jones' last year model. It was done simply as sacrifice to consumerism. Some times it was the color of the turn signals or the grill or the placement of trim that distinguished one year from another. Apparently in 1966 they played with the body lines a bit from the introductory 1965 model year (first year cars are frequently an orphan anyway as bean counters make changes to cut production costs). If they did a coat of paint won't hide that it is off the wrong year car.

Big Dave
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
He means the body lines are different (creases and peaks). Back in the sixties cars were changed annually just so you could tell your brand new car from the Jones' last year model. It was done simply as sacrifice to consumerism. Some times it was the color of the turn signals or the grill or the placement of trim that distinguished one year from another. Apparently in 1966 they played with the body lines a bit from the introductory 1965 model year (first year cars are frequently an orphan anyway as bean counters make changes to cut production costs). If they did a coat of paint won't hide that it is off the wrong year car.

Big Dave
Excuse the fact that there is no emphasis of spoken word, or facial expressions to read in text, because this may sound rude unintentionally.

I understand the difference between the 1965 and 1966 but the 1965 was never mentioned. The statement was that nothing else really interchanged between the Base model 66 and 66 SS besides a trunk lid. At least, that's what I took from it.

The difference between the Base and SS is minimal. The only difference would be a few cosmetic pieces and whats in the interior. Yes, the motor and tranny is probably different but, that's not always the case. Even though the SS goodies are intended for an SS it's still all interchangeable. I personally am not one to clone but it is very easy to do.

I'm pretty sure that all of us are aware of these facts. Which is why I was seeking clarification.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 10:55 AM

No offence offered. I was trying to clarify a possible reason for his statement. I don't restore cars (I am a racer at heart and destroy rather than recreate).

Of the 1965-'70 series of B-body cars my only experience is my parents cars. they owned a 1965 Impala Evening Orchid four door hard top 283 PowerGlide; and an Ermine white 9C1 COPO 1968 Caprice that had a 360 horse 327 and a TH400 in a four door hard top with black vinyl roof that had been special ordered for the chief of police for the city of Clearwater (ordered without first checking with the city council who refused to pay for the car when it was delivered to the dealership). I maintained those cars in my shop as I was into racing and building motors at that time driving Camaros or Chevy II cars (also had a Corvair Monza four speed convertible that I loved).

I mention the difference in body lines beside the grill changes as the major difference between a 1969 Camaro compared to a 1968 is the addition of fake louvers pressed into the sheet metal in front of the rear tire wheel arch. That is an example of an annual style change involving a recognizable difference in the sheet metal. Some are hard to tell as an example is he 1970 vs. the 1971 Nova where the only noticeable change was the color of the front turn signal lens covers from clear to amber.

I don't know what change it was that Bill was trying to point out. I was only offering the possible changes from my limited experience.

Big Dave
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 02:01 PM

Dave has it right.

But to clear up any confusion, the '66 2-Dr HT Trunk Lid (which includes the SS) fits '66 2-Dr HT cars only (again including the SS).

Nothing else fits. The '66 2-Dr Sedan, 4-Dr Sedan, 4-Dr HT and Convertible are all different. No other years will work as well.

Member:

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62BillT View Post
Dave has it right.

But to clear up any confusion, the '66 2-Dr HT Trunk Lid (which includes the SS) fits '66 2-Dr HT cars only (again including the SS).

Nothing else fits. The '66 2-Dr Sedan, 4-Dr Sedan, 4-Dr HT and Convertible are all different. No other years will work as well.

Ahhhhh now I get what you were talking about!!

I thought you were referring to the 2 door base not being interchangeable with the SS besides trunk lid.

This ia besides the point but would either of you know about how a 66 hood gets two rust holes on directly across from each other on both sides? I have it, never seen it before, very curious how it happened. The holes are in the exact same spot but across from each other, about the size of a quarter.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 04:40 PM
BA.

It took me quite some time to find a good, old one for my 66 convertible.

I spoke with a guy that frequents the swap meets in the region because he has good contacts. He found me one from one of his guys he works with in Minnesota of all places.
You can try this guy - his name is Chris Krengle - not kidding.
I'll PM you his number. No reason for me to put it on here without his permission.

On a similar note: Larry on here also sells a lot of stuff and may know of one. aka "dadstoy"
You can also try desert valley auto parts or memory lane auto parts. Shipping won't be cheap though as they are across the country from you.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madencali View Post
This ia besides the point but would either of you know about how a 66 hood gets two rust holes on directly across from each other on both sides? I have it, never seen it before, very curious how it happened. The holes are in the exact same spot but across from each other, about the size of a quarter.
I've never seen one that rusted like that either, but would say it would probably have something to do with the equally positioned cross braces under it.

Bill

Member:

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 12:09 PM

Hollander #818.

The hollander number for that '66 Impala deck lid is #818. 2 dr hardtop only. From a 74 paper catalog. The earlier posters are correct, every year pretty much had a different lid, and fenders, from '55 thru '77 in many instances. The '77 to '79 began to carryover sheetmetal. I have a #743 deck lid, which is '65 Bel Air and Biscayne, only, due to the presence of only one tail light in the lid, as opposed to the Impala, which had two on each side of the deck lid.
Probably could find that lid at AZ's DVAP, Hidden Valley, Impala Bob's or perhaps CA's Memory Lane, if they are still open. That is I don't know if Memory Lane or Impala Bob's are still in business. DVAP and Hidden Valley are. The one year nature of these parts makes it certainly harder to find the correct part, more expensive, as well as finding a buyer for whatever one might have.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 11:07 AM

Garage
not sure where in Cali are you, but there is couple of 66's parting out on sfbay cragslist.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 09:52 AM

If you have Facebook, there are several sites offering parts for 65 - 66 Impala's. I do most of my buying and selling there.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
If you have Facebook, there are several sites offering parts for 65 - 66 Impala's. I do most of my buying and selling there.
I wish I would like Facebook better, lol. I just can't get a liking for it. Especially when the big news of the day is "Little Johnny finally went poo poo all by himself this morning" !!

Member:

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 10:25 AM
BA.

I hear you Bill, you just take those people posting annoying stuff (or too much stuff) and you assign them to a new grouping that you create. That way it's out of your sight in the normal "News Feed".

You can do it!!

meanwhile, I need to find DadsToy on FB.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 12:17 PM

My solution is to live in isolation. I have no face book account, or twitter or any of the other social media stuff because I 'm an old crudgemugeon. People ask "How can you LIVE without Fill in the blank, and I reply?" I manage.

Big Dave
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I have no face book account, or twitter or any of the other social media stuff
Me too. No social media. And don't even know how to tweet, lol.

I can't even text, lol.

I may try to check out FB though again for the cars. My problem is that it seems like I can't even take a look at it without joining.

Member:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page