New Member 67 SS Convertible 4 speed - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

New Member 67 SS Convertible 4 speed

Not my dream car but a great find! Rust free 4 speed SS Vert. Now the big question is which way to go with the car. I'm thinking a nice 427 clone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 07:16 PM

Welcome to the Team Mick!

Are you talking about a 427 SS Impala or an Impala SS with a 427 under the hood. Two different options. The 427 SS was the COPO of the big B-body cars; and you will spend more trying to find an original 427 SS hood than some spend on their homes. I read somewhere that some one offered a fiberglass replica of the 427 SS hood.

Now if you are talking about making a clone of the Impala SS all you need are a few trim pieces and a pair of bucket seats. The Impala SS could be ordered with any engine from the six cylinder up to the 427 390 horse variant (only the 427 SS was allowed to be ordered with a 435 horse L-88 under the hood, though most had the 425 horse cast iron heads). The SS package in the Impala was a trim option not a performance option (all show, no go), unlike in the Camaro, Nova, or Chevelle line where the SS package bought you the biggest badest motor and a car body with all of the heavy duty options that made it as close to a racer car as the factory could make it.

Big Dave
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave. The car is already an SS. Low level driver quality, no rust, 4 speed blue with white top and guts. Needs everything at least touched, cleaned, rubbed, chromed, or painted. 283 2 barrel. I like working on projects vs. driving them.

Step one will be a complete wear item service, bushings, fluids, gaskets, brakes, belts, hoses, cooling, steering etc.

So my question is should I hot rod, pro tour, bag, performance suspension LS engine or BB? It's kind of a blank slate.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 08:05 AM

That will be what ever you want to do with the car based upon your own expectations.

I generally put a BBC in everything I own with the exception of my LQ-9 powered (LS-x) Silverado pick up which is my daily driver. A big block will provide a lot of get up and go but you are then having to replace all of the brakes and suspension with heavy duty cop car or station wagon parts (as well as Corvette disc brakes up front) to be able to account for the added power. That said even a 283 two barrel can propel the car faster than the factory intended, brake wise; as they were designed and built before limited access roads were ever built.

Check out Rock Auto dot com's web site to cross check the parts list for Corvette part numbers that interchange with your car as a lot of Corvette parts came out of the Impala parts bin originally. Just don't pay the higher Corvette price for a part unless the same lower priced (because of lower demand) police car or station wagon part isn't available.

Same goes for those guys who bought a Cadillac Brougham and paid extra for a Chevy Impala with different trim. The parts interchange but if you buy the part with a Cadillac part number it cost twice as much than if you bought the same part with the Chevy part number. The Heavier D-body Cadillac limos used parts off of a Chevy pick-up truck in their suspension, modified to five bolt wheels, and carries a Cadillac part number that is different from the six lug Chevy part. Those same heavy duty parts will still bolt onto your car with a little rework to account for the larger diameter fasteners used to bolt them on (drill out a bigger hole) or ball joint studs (requires reaming out the steering knuckle).

Cars and trucks have their suspension designed to handle loads. Those loads can be generated by increased kinetic energy due to excess speed (higher than the 45 mph design criteria used in your 67 Impala), or due to added weight in the case of a pick-up truck. Chevrolets solution to making a part stronger was generally to make the part dimensionally larger. Thus brakes increase in size from nine to eleven inches jumping up from a Nova or Chevelle to a heavier Impala and jump again to twelve inches or fourteen on a pick-up as weigh goes up. Those same fourteen inch brakes can be found on a Corvette designed to run all day at 180 mph. It's all a mater of algebra based upon the equation one half the mass of the vehicle times it's velocity squared. As speed increases the force increases exponentially which is why the lighter Corvette needs such big brakes.

GM bends over backwards (restricting their engineers to work from existing parts bins) when they design their vehicles so that all of the parts interchange (GM actually could care less about parts interchangeability; they do it to cut costs maximizing their profits). You profit from this by looking in those same parts bins for low cost HD parts that can make your car handle better, drive faster and safer. You just have to know where to look.

Best thing I can recommend is a compete set of the original paper service manuals and a copy of the 1962-'75 Parts Catalog which can all be found on line, or on a CD from a scanned paper original.

First thing is you want the Assembly manual. That lists every part used on your car by part number (long since expired) and lists the torque value of every bolt on the car. It also shows how it was assembled with over a hundred exploded view drawings. The next most important is the Service Overhaul manual (aka shop manual) they (Helm Publishing) illustrated the repair of most commonly replaced or repaired parts on the car. The Fisher Body service manual was used by the collision repair shop to hang new sheet metal and replace the inner door window mechanisms. It tells you where every trim piece and decal was supposed to be placed. Then the Parts manual that allows you to compare and identify parts. Finally a Chassis Service manual has all of the dimensions for adjusting the front end using only a tape measure, lists ride height and frame dimensions (useful if your car was ever wrecked) and how to repair any thing bolted to the frame such as brakes, rear end front end steering gear box over haul, etc.

Big Dave
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 11:23 AM

I like the small blocks myself.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 03:22 PM
BA.

Sounds like a nice project, that's one of my dream rides right there.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Pictures

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 10:18 PM

Nice car.

In my opinion, I would restore just what it needs and leave it like it is. Possibly upgrade to a period correct 327. But if the 283 is original I would at least keep it in storage, if you decide to take it out.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bill. Thats what I decided to do actually Im going to upgrade intake and carb to the 240 HP Corvette version Rochester 4GC and a period correct front fill intake and a lick of paint. I guess they are only original once and it is nice. Air too
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 07:09 AM

Very nice car and a good color combo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page