Newbie from Minnesota!!! - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Newbie from Minnesota!!!

Hello all!! I am a first timer here and to the classic car owner world. I'm a proud owner of a new to me 1967 impala ss. I have a passion for classic cars for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately I haven't had anyone to teach me about them so I decided it was time to follow my dreams and do it myself. I've searching for a couple years and finally took the plunge. I'm using this to educate myself on how to work on cars. I welcome any advice on where to look for parts or tools that are a must for any newbie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1437972223430.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	11697   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1437972272511.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	11705   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1437972296326.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	11713   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1437972440434.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	11721  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 07:20 AM

Welcome to the Team Darla!

Looks like most of the work has been done already. Apears to have been recently restified with an engine rebuild and fresh paint.

Big Dave
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Thank you! I believe the engine is mostly complete. I've been told I need to adjust the carberator. Needs new brakes.weather striping. Mostly cosmetic things. Any suggestions on where to find a reasonably priced center console? Also this may sound dumb but I'm not sure what grade/type of fuel/gas that would be best to use. I've been told different things and just want to make sure Im using the correct fuel.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:36 AM

That answer depends upon how the motor was built. Originally the 283 and the 327 ran on regular grade gas. Problem is that leaded regular grade gas from 1967 had an octane rating of 94 which is one point more than high test is currently rated here in Florida. If the builder put together a late model 350 and used similar 72 cc to 76 cc late model heads then it will run all day on 87 octane unleaded gas. As the combustion chamber volume contracts then either you need a set of dished piston or higher octane gas. So if you see the original Fuelie heads (double hump casting marks without accessory bolt holes) then they are 64 cc chambered heads and with a flat top piston (stock four eye brow valve reliefs) will probably require the same 94 octane that it originally required. You can look on line for the casting mark identification of stock Chevy cast iron heads. That will tell you the chamber volume.

Your mechanic can run a simple compression test to see what your compression ratio is. You are looking for about 9.2:1 for the absolute maximum for premium pump gas; a lower ratio to have any hope of running 87 octane. You calculate the compression ratio by dividing the averaged measured gauge pressure for all eight cylinders by 14.7 to see the compression ratio expressed in atmospheres of pressure. You can run a higher compression ratio with aluminum heads because they allow more heat to escape the cylinder than a cast iron head does. From the ideal gas law we learned in ninth grade Chemistry we know that pressure (compression), volume (displacement), and temperature are all related.

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 07-27-2015 at 04:50 PM. Reason: no I didn't KNOW that (wrong no got through splelng cheker
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 11:20 AM

nice looking car.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Thank you
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 06:44 AM

Welcome to the community Darla! Nice to have you join us. You have a great looking ride! Hope you stick around and find this forum useful.

Chevy Impala http://www.carid.com/chevy-impala-accessories/
Call Toll Free: 800.505.3274 | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | YouTube
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 04:28 PM

Garage
Cool car, Darla! Where are you at in Minnesota? I'm down in Mankato and just brought home my grandma's '63 sport coupe last night.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 09:36 AM

Welcome to the club!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page