New old guy from New Hampshire... - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

New old guy from New Hampshire...

Just wanted to say hey to all the Impala nuts out there like me. I picked up a 1970 Impala Sport Coupe on Thursday, and am already hip deep in ideas. I love the factory rally's, but am not sure of the stock width as delivered. I'm fairly certain the wheels are stock, as is almost every inch of this survivor. Obviously I want to make it look a little meaner without damaging anything, and my thought was 255/60 R15 front, 275/60 R15 rear on the as delivered wheels. I already see on here that I shouldn't have issues with these wheels if they're 15x8, but has anyone done the same gig with 15x7's? I tend to like the ballooned sidewall appearance, so if they're 7's, that's cool too. Oh, she's a 350/2 barrel putting power down through a glide, and stopping is a planned affair with manual four wheel drums.

The Next time someone inconsiderately insults you, then says "No Offense", beat the crap out of them and state "No Harm Done."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	11922

The Next time someone inconsiderately insults you, then says "No Offense", beat the crap out of them and state "No Harm Done."
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 05:00 PM

Welcome to the Team Royce!

Most Impala wheels where six inches or less stock. There where some 15" x 7" wheels but they where usually on cop cars or on wagons. In 1970 I would suspect a 15" x 6" with an E78 bias ply as the stock tire if it has steel wheels, 15" x 7" wheels if they are Rally wheels. The 15" x 8" wheels where only used on the C3 and C4 Corvettes though they will bolt unjust fine on your Impala.

You also have to think ahead if you are planning on running disc brakes. All Corvette Rally wheels will clear disc brakes. The 15" x 7" Rally wheels off of C2 Corvettes as well as the 15" x 8" Rally wheels found on the later models as four wheel disc brakes where standard equipment from 1965 and up.
For 1970 B-body disc bakes were a rare option; and as such will be very expensive if you can find a complete set of parts to upgrade your car used. They were only used in 1969 and 1970. Because the engineers were not sure if the single caliper used on the X, F, and A body cars (compact, sport and intermediate models) they designed a super sized full floating single piston caliper that was also used on pick-up trucks.

You can use the 1968 Corvette four piston fixed bridge design as the parts will interchange but because of spindle differences you need an Impala front wheel hub that is not reproduced (though all of the other Corvette parts you would need beside the hub are reproduced). It will probably be cheaper to go with a COMPLETE disc brake conversion kit (calipers, rotors, brake lines , power assist booster and master cylinder with a new push rod to match for your brake pedal) from someone like CPP (another one of our sponsors). Or to bite the bullet and buy from Wilwood or Baer a big brake upgrade kit (using 13" or 14" inch rotors that will require larger than 15" inch wheels.

Standard steel wheels will not clear any disc brake combination unless it was off of a car known to be equipped with optional disc brakes such as a police car, and Rally wheels will only clear if they come off of a disc brake equipped car such as a Chevelle or Camaro that had single piston disc brakes starting in 1969.

Big Dave

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 09:45 AM

You can safely use 15x8 corvette rally wheels. I have them on my 65 wagon after taking them off my 65 convertible. They have a 4" backspace. Fronts may rub a little with that large a tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Just Misc Stuff 063.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	11961  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page