Want to buy a 1967 Impala 4 Hard Top - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Want to buy a 1967 Impala 4 Hard Top

Hey Guys,

I am from Germany and my dream is to drive a 1967 Chevrolet Impala. It's insanely hard to find a 4door Hardtop, especially in Germany , so I hope the forum can help me out and maybe someone wants to sell his Impala

Thank you very much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 08:45 AM

Welcome to the Team Maximilian!

Most folks on this side of the pond want to own a Two Door Sport Coupe (hard top) with the SS trim package (bucket seats). A four door should be easier to find here and cost you less than the two door.

I would recommend vacationing at Disney Land in SoCal and while there check out the classified for California, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, and the the flat part of Texas. This area is known as the desert Soutwest; and it rarely rains, and any form of a morning dew is unknown. We have Disney World in Florida, but few antique project cars; except for finished drivable projects sold at estate sales. A lot of pople are DYING to to retire in Florida.

Since there is little to no water in the desert Southwest, car bodies do not rust, though the plastic and cloth interior are destroyed by the low latitude sun light that is much more intese there than Germans are aware of, judging by the number of lobster red colored German tourists that I see lying on the sand along the Gulf beaches where I live (time to sunburn is on the weather forecast each night for the safety of German and Canadian tourists and runs from 8 to 15 minutes).

Big Dave
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 09:14 AM

67 Impala 4 door

http://clarksville.craigslist.org/cto/5116933355.html

https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/5169233359.html
http://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/5092695037.html
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/5145080033.html

http://duluth.craigslist.org/cto/5149953838.html

Here is soewm of what's out there on Craigslist in varying condition.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Hey ,

Thank you very much. I kinda thought that as well, that the impala 4dr Hardtop is easy to get but so far,i am really having troubles finding the right one. Especially because i am not familiar with the US car websites, thats why i am thankful for the links you just posted !
I hoped I would find an Impala in a good condition but seems like I will have to buy a car which needs to be repaired, but well. I guess its worth it!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:49 AM

Keep in mind the factory built these cars with a design criteria of lasting no more than seven years (this is codified into US law protecting consumers of capital goods). Today if you find a car that hasn't been restored it will be a rusty hulk with electrical problems. The sheet metal is the hardest to repair and will cost you the most to fix. This is because you can not buy these B-body cars new like you can a mid sixty Mustang, a TriFive Chevy or a first generation Camaro (and soon an early seventies Challenger-Charger body)

Aside from floor pans there are not even a lot of patch panels; and choosing a four door over a two door reduces the availability of finding new sheet metal to replace rusted out parts. So it is in your best interest to find a body that is straight and as rust free as you can. I would avoid anything from the Mid-west (Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio) or the Northeast (Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, Connecticut, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine) as those populated areas have snowy winters that the local DOT uses salt to deice bridges and roadways. Salt water promotes lots of rust.

There are lots of other snowy areas left in the US but they are not populated heavily enough to pay for road salting so people generally drive four wheel drive vehicles in these areas year round, and used their Impala as a summer cruiser. The Southeastern area of the country is hot and wet with lots of rain fall, so though not as bad rust wise there is a lot more bent sheet metal and a greater chance of a poorly repaired collision damaged car in car projects from this area of the country.

There were not a lot of cars sold in the desert Southwest because not too many people were crazy enough to live there except for southern California which is why prices for a rust free car are rising in general. After Arizona became a retirement Mecca thanks to air conditioned cracker box homes centered around commercial centers there were a lot more cars moved into that area; problem is they were owned by retiring people from the icy Northeast bringing their rolling rust buckets with them.

Because of the mixing of old rust free with newer bondo covered rust buckets I think you will need to physically be there to shop for your project car in person to prevent buying a "pig in poke" (old English saying about buying pork bellies without doing market research to see what was inside the bag). This is an expensive enough hobby already with out making a costly mistake and then adding to it by shipping that mistake to Germany. (by the way to get around import tariffs I recommend buying a car without a motor or tranny and calling the purchase car parts instead of a car). Once the body is repaired, and painted you can buy a crate motor and a tranny to drop into it, as they are just car parts that are easily found on line.

Big Dave
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help.
I realise that too right now, almost every Impala, if i see one ,is full of rust and needs a complete overwork.
So far i've found the links seen in that thread and 2 or 3 others, but the conidtion is basically all the same. Rust,damaged paint and dents. But it seems like I have to work with that.
It is hard to really be there in person, because of that I want to send a surveyor that examines the car I want. But to do that, at least I have to limit the amount of offers, which is kinda hard , because like i said, the conidtion is mostly the same and i only see pictures. However of course it would be great if I would chose the right car, and the surveyor approves that. Because I don't really have the money for 4/5 reports, because the car suddenly exposes not to be as good as on the pictures
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 03:49 PM

Garage
Unfortunately (for the buyer) 4 door 67 is featured in TV Show Supernatural which made the car popular and the price astronomical. I've seen some of them with the asking price on par with the 2 door. Be ready to shell out some cash for a nice one.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Yes i have to accept that , because i didn't find one Impala in good Condition. All the Impalas i found were like 12.5k -20k Dollars and completely rusted and stuff.
But seems like there are hardcore Supernatural fans out there buying the car for crazy amounts of money, just because Jensen Ackles is driving it

Seems like I will have a hard time..

Last edited by Candyoverload; 08-26-2015 at 03:30 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 04:55 AM

Hello Maximilian and welcome to the forum! Thanks for joining us. Lots of knowledgeable people here who can help you when you get what you're looking for, and maybe some who can help you find the car of your dreams. Good luck with the hunt and ask away if you need any info.

Chevy Impala http://www.carid.com/chevy-impala-accessories/
Call Toll Free: 800.505.3274 | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the welcome. I hope I will find my dream car soon. Waited so long to finally be able to buy that car
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 07:24 AM

If you find one that you are interested in post in here where it is located and ask for help for someone to look at it for you. There are a lot of great guys here that would be glad to help you out maybe even for free. Pics are great but sometimes a video is much better. Pics can miss bad spots on purpose.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

I would be more than thankful if someone could really take a look at the car. Because like you said, the car dealer basically only lets me see what he wants me to see on the pictures. I will definetely give it a try when I found an Impala I am interested in.
So far the best i have found is https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/5169233359.html this one, but it still needs a lot of work.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 08:59 AM

Classifieds:

Max:
Just want to make sure you also searched the classified ads on this site, all the way up above is the tab for classifieds and just type in your search:

Here's the link if it works for all 1967 Impala 4 door cars:

http://www.impalas.net/classifieds/s...=50&low=&high=

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 11:18 AM

Hi and Welcome,

Hope you find one soon, it took me two years to find a good one and for a decent price.
At the moment I'm having it apart for the black paint job.

Greetings from the Netherlands

Dennis
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

@Paul fsc66
Thanks very much
http://www.impalas.net/classifieds/s...ct=3323&cat=12 this one is kinda interesting as well. But I think the one I've found is one of the best when it comes to condition and pricing, since I only have a budget of 30.000$ so I can't really overwork a completly damaged car, since i have import costs and rebuilding costs so i am allowed to drive in Germany, as well.

@ Dennis,
I hope my search wont last that long , because I am saving my money since years for that and now I really want one, haha.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 07:43 AM

Have you found your 67 4door Hardtop?

Hello,

I happen to live in Southwest Texas and had been looking for sometime for a 67 4dr hardtop, yes all due to Supernatural and a promise to our daughter the show has been part of the family for a while and we go to Comic Conventions and have seen some of the actors in San Diego Comic Con while attending. Doing a replica car has been a Dream for a while for us and I kept up the search for this car. I looked for six years and had a hard time finding one in our area and close enough for us to go see and at a reasonable price. The cars out of the Nashville Tennessee area happen to be a family who have scooped up as many and still try to get all they can so they can flip them to Supernatural fans at crazy prices. They have sold cars and people have not been happy with them so be careful if you do buy from them. If you can wait and keep checking you will find one, we did find one in bad shape needing lots of work that we picked up because we thought we would never find one, and needing parts we were having a hard time to find many of what we needed to get the car together. I kept looking and we got lucky to find another one close enough for us to drive to see and pick up at $3,500 running. It needs some work but in about the same condition as the ones you see the people in Tennessee selling for over $12,000.00 to $25,000.00. You can find them still recently two were just picked up at reasonable prices I have seen by people on one of the Impala Facebook pages. Best thing is in google do a (Search all Craigslist) and search for 1967 4 door, often. or join some of the 1967 Impala Facebook pages they tend to post the Craigslist Ads which is how we found the 67 4dr Hardtop in Denver we picked up running. Locally we came across one of the Impala guys who let us know that he had been looking for a couple years for a 67 Sport Sedan for another family and hadn't found one. The issue is the people in Tennessee are buying all they can, we got lucky to be the first to contact the seller in Denver and got the car by being there the next day with cash in hand, no money transfers or pay pal which a lot of people are afraid to deal with now due to scams. But keep in mind after you find the car, the parts will be hard to come by since not all the 4 door hardtop parts, body wise are universal with all 2 door Impalas or even 4door regular Sedans and that becomes another issue. Regular Impalas or SS Impala's I can find easily the Sport Sedan (hardtops) are not as easy as a regular 4 door Sedan (with pillars) and not all the parts will transfer over. I have found by speaking to several Impala guys locally and researching myself that lots of parts are repopped for early 60's Impalas but not as much for the later 60's and even less for the Sport Sedan. Craigslist Tempest will help also. Good Luck in your Search
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 09:53 AM

Too bad you're not looking for a 65 Impala 2door. I have a frame off all black coupe with SS interior and all SS trim. It's a full frame off, every nut and bolt restoration that I am being forced to sell. I have some pretty serious medical issues going on and just don't have the time and ability to enjoy it. It is a near flawless car that is mechanically perfect. The undercarriage is as clean as the top. I plan on listing it on this site in a month or so when it comes out of winter storage. You can see pictures if you search on posts by "PALALT".
The price is around $27k US. It's a 327/275 horse with a 200R4, 4 speed overdrive, factory air car. It's a show winner that needs nothing. Anyone interested this spring can message me.

PS. These golden years suck. I'm 66 and falling apart. Not what I had planned for retirement, for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0973_00.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	13914  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palalt View Post
Too bad you're not looking for a 65 Impala 2door. I have a frame off all black coupe with SS interior and all SS trim. It's a full frame off, every nut and bolt restoration that I am being forced to sell. I have some pretty serious medical issues going on and just don't have the time and ability to enjoy it. It is a near flawless car that is mechanically perfect. The undercarriage is as clean as the top. I plan on listing it on this site in a month or so when it comes out of winter storage. You can see pictures if you search on posts by "PALALT".
The price is around $27k US. It's a 327/275 horse with a 200R4, 4 speed overdrive, factory air car. It's a show winner that needs nothing. Anyone interested this spring can message me.

PS. These golden years suck. I'm 66 and falling apart. Not what I had planned for retirement, for sure.
See, what you need is a bad mother ****er like this guys 65. 4 doors are parts cars

Bro you don't need to spend 30k on 4 door, please don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1967, buy, chevrolet, impala, supernatural

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page