New here, Greetings from the Great White North - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

New here, Greetings from the Great White North

Hi guys, I'm from New Westminster, BC (next door to Vancouver) about a 3 hour drive north of Seattle just to give you an idea where that is.
I've got a '65 Impala SS convertible, Ermine white with a black top, 350 .040 over with a 4 speed OD tranny, Corvette C3 front disc brake setup and 15" Vette rims. I'll post a pic once I figure out how.
Any fellow Canadians on here? Anyone close to Vancouver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 12:11 PM

There's a few of us, spread out (of course). I'm in Ottawa, and have a 65 convertible as well.

Welcome!

For pics, I suggest an online hosting site. I use photobucket.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 03:11 PM

Welcome to the Team Steve!

I was born in Toronto if that means anything, though I emigrated to the deep south back in October of 1957.

I am more intrigued with your four speed OD tranny. Is it a Borg-Warner T85 three forward speeds with an electronically shifted over drive gear in the tail housing? Or was it the later New Process A-833 heavy duty four speed that has third gear modified to become an under driven over drive with a simple flipping of the shifter fork? They were used by Chevy in a lot of light pickups and vans in the seventies and early eighties to up the CAFE numbers for Chevy's fleet of vehicles.

http://www.classicjunkyard.com/new_process_a833.htm

That tranny (the four speed; not the three plus OD version) was the same one Chrysler installed behind their 440 and 426 Hemi powered cars and the one that Ronnie Sox rowed to fame and fortune as a Pro Stock driver.

Big Dave

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 05:11 AM

Welcome Steve.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave,

Sorry, I somehow skipped the 4 sp 'Automatic' portion of my description. It's a 200R4 auto. But that 4 sp OD you were describing does sound interesting.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 12:51 AM

Sorry I saw four speed and jumped to the wrong conclusion:

They were only used in two wheel drive (according to this article but two other sources claim it was used in four wheel drive in some K10 Suburbans and K5 Blazers as well) C10 pick-ups and G10 vans from 1981-86, according to this article; but I have only seen them in G10 and G20 vans.

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/...feature17.html

You would need the bell housing flywheel clutch and pressure plate as well as the transmission. Though the clutch disc is GM course ten spline the bell housing uses a different transmission mounting hole and bolt pattern to mount the New Process tranny. Gear ratios are 3.09, 1.67, 1.00, 0.73, Rev 3.00 so you won't need a lot of rear gear ratio to get your car rolling.

Here is another article on that tranny:

http://www.classicjunkyard.com/new_process_a833.htm

This blurb states that the later model cases were cast of lighter aluminum instead of the heavier but stronger cast iron. You also want a long tail shaft if you have the option. Shorter tail shaft is for a Chrysler car and will be a direct drive not an OD.

New Process A833
4-speed transmission, with all forward speeds synchronized. Manufactured in both direct drive and overdrive models. 10 Bolt shift cover mounted on left side of transmission case. Early models had iron cases and late model cases are aluminum. Case length measures 10 5/8 . Used in Chrysler passenger cars 1964-80, Dodge trucks 1976-85, and 1981-86 General Motors trucks. GM models may be identified as RPO code MY6 Produced in 2 and 4 wheel drive versions

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page